Newest Glide wrapper that works with real Windows 98 hardware.

Yes I tried nGlide. It wanted the full featureset of DirectX 9 apparently, and while my card (Nvidia Geforce FX5200) supports that, it apparently doesn't support it enough and the game I tried didn't launch. Mind you, the game is Gex 2: Enter the Gecko. I wanted to play this for a laugh but apparently not only does it not support DirectX (...despite having it as a requirement in the install...) but the Direct X patch simply caused the game not to launch. No error, just no launch either. 

I tried OpenGLide, and dgVoodoo 1.0. No cigar with either; on OpenGLide a KERNEL32.DLL error is shown, on dgVoodoo and nGlide I get the same generic error of "main: grSstOpen failed!" (I say generic because searching for this leads straight back to Gex). What's interesting is that I actually got nGlide working at least once, but never again, and I don't know what I did to screw it up (I even tried uninstalling DirectX via regedit and reinstalling 9.0c with the same result. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling nGlide as well).

I'm not interested in buying an actual Voodoo card. I've considered seeing if I can recycle parts and build the open sourced one but I'd rather not build an entire graphics card to play Gex, I would build the card for better performance in other areas.

With all that out of the way, help would be much appreciated, I'll take anything other then a real Voodoo card or Windows 10 at this point.

Have you got the CD or are you using <warez site> download? The original game uses DX7 which comes with the OS; DDraw.dll. The patch uses Glide2x.dll and will ask for the CD when launching. Make sure you have Glide2x.dll in your system. I tried the original and nVidia 7600GS tried to launch but not following on and exiting. The best cards for old games are ATI. To show this you can try ExtremeG2.