is windows xp 64 bit better than the x86 version of xp?

legacyfan

The only thing I can add about XP x64 is that it is the only OS I have used that allowed 4 separate sound cards to work using dedicated and separate channels. Obviously this is a very specific requirement that most people aren't going to run into.

On 4/26/2021 at 4:20 PM, Tripredacus said:

The only thing I can add about XP x64 is that it is the only OS I have used that allowed 4 separate sound cards to work using dedicated and separate channels.

Was that to client or was required by you to something? I have seen dual sound card but never 4 on any system (well never worked on studios)

• legacyfan changed the title to is windows xp 64 bit better than the x86 version of xp?

i finally got windows xp 64 bit to work on my laptop the drivers for it were hidden in the 32 bit driver setup file an dell dident even tell anyone that but anyway its working thanks to all who helped me!:D

Edited by VistaEX

23 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Was that to client or was required by you to something? I have seen dual sound card but never 4 on any system (well never worked on studios)

It was a client requirement at the time. Client was using Linux systems in-house to run this particular hardware setup but wanted to introduce a Windows based product. The typical Windows behaviour (even to this day) is to use default outputs. We had tried many different OS to accomplish it, XP Pro x86, XP Ultimate x86, XPe, XPee, Vista Business, Ultimate and even some versions of Server 2003. XP x64 was the only one that allowed for each sound card to have dedicated input and output. Basically, they could output audio on each sound card simultaneously. Whereas the other OS (or even current one) likes to only use 1 "Default" output, no matter how many audio controllers you have.

Even on my Win7 PC at home it cannot do this. Despite I have sound controllers on the video card and sound card. If I want to have audio go to my AVR instead of my PC speakers, I have to set the HDMI Audio output as default and then it will work. There is no option for me to output audio through both the video card and sound card.