ATI Radeon 9600 256mb HELP PLEASE!

finalmaxim

hey people. ok straight to the point, my graphics card is bein a right b***h.

last night i loaded up ultima as usual but the screen was all a mess, like a file had corrupted or somethin. so i thought no prob, ill reinstall ultima n itll be fine. so i reinstalled ultima, n it was exactly the same. so i thought, hmmm must be a problem with windows. so i formatted my harddrive, reinstalled xp, reinstalled everythin..and... its still fooked.

ive tried using the drivers that came with the gfx card, ive tried the latest on the ati site, n ive tried an omega driver. none will work.

when i load up the game it freezes for a few seconds, goes all mashed up, then tells me

"VPU recover has reset your graphics accelorator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands" please tell ati about this problem blah blah. when i click dont send it says..

"VPU was unable to fully recover from a hardware deadlock, and has switched to software rendering. to restore hardware rendering, you must restart your computer. Do you wanna restart?"

Any help at all will be very much appriciated as this gfx card is only a month old and i aint very happy at all. in fact my whole system is only a month old.

thanks people

Dan

It sounds like you have a bad card or a bad card BIOS. Try downloading the latest video card bios and flash it. That would explain some of the calls not being understood. (Maybe? I'm not a gfx card expert)

If that fails, cross your fingers and hope the card is under warranty. :)

hey there. thanks for your help mate. i just took the card round to my cousins house and tried it in his pc, exactly the same. tried the catalyst 4.4 driver on the ati site and its just plain and simply mashed lol. im gonna try all the older drivers now to see if i can find one that will be able to run my games until i get a new gfx card.

the card i brought 31 days ago.. but ebuyers returns policy is 30 days or less you get refund or replacement... more than 30 days you have replacement.

so dya reckon if i get the replacement.. i can send it back as a refund.. or dont you think theyll refund replacemets? confusin huh?

even if they wont refund ill sell the replacement on ebay n get some of my money back.

*very dissapointed at this graphics card at only being 1 month old*

Dan

Do you have trouble running any game, or is it just Ultima? Whatever Ultima version you're running, most of the games in the Ultima series are very old dating back to 5-8 years ago. Its probably not supported by the newer cards.

Definately sounds like the card has gone bad. You said it's a 256mb model so I'm guessing it is one of those third party boards instead of a genuine built by ATI model. I have always avoided them myself; they may be just as good but they always look cheap to me and I just feel better having a real ATI model.

Since it's only a month old you should probably try to return it or at least exchange it.