any drawbacks to completely disabling aero related stuff under windows 10, other manual tweaks, etc

cov3rt

i was wondering for one, what's the whole purpose of windows aero since windows 7, but particularly with windows 10? the reason why i ask is because i noticed an indirect or direct relationship between modified settings that used the "adjust for best performance" in performance options menu, actually WORSENING performance or causing issues, as opposed to helping, but this was based off a windows 7 based systems at the time i believe. i don't remember the exact details, but it was something to do with fullscreen / windowed mode or something that causes certain games to actually perform worse. this was what was mentioned in forums of people talking about aero. because of this, i reverted doing the "adjust to best performance" option, but rather it's intended for people to use the default setting, or let windows choose what's best for my computer...

basically, i want to know if disabling all aero related things in windows 10 would improve performance and / or help with stability, or would it cause issues, and if so, what would the issues be? also, does the "Adjust for best performance" have any role in any of this? i'm just trying to refine my windows 10 system as much as possible, i try to only find tweaks that directly improve performance, and / or increase ssd life with little to no noticeable effect to performance. for example, i've just recently found that superfetch is no longer in windows 10's services.msc, because it's basically renamed to sysmain now, i disabled it and found no issues so far. other tweaks, such as open shell are more for usability, although it's light, it uses about 1.6 MB only. 

as a side note, i've already went and turned off everything or almost everything related to special effects / animations, aero related, etc, in the "Settings" folders of windows 10. there are some additional things i didn't do that i'm in the process of deciding to do or not, such as registry or gpedit.msc routes for disabling of aero related stuff, but before i do that, i want to see if it really would be beneficial or helpful for my goals. other than that, i'm curious to know any specific manual tweaks you guys know of, i do not want to use add ons at all, as someone else from the other post suggested mostly add ons, but i was looking for manual tweaks. 

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20130327-00/?p=4833

Enable desktop composition is no longer an option to disable, which would result in a radical change how the desktop and windows are rendered, which is why you saw what you saw on Windows 7.

So it's mostly about subjective perception whether you like the things listed there or not. Obviously windows will still (dis)appear faster if their animation is disabled, but those animations shouldn't bog your computer down if left enabled.

Edited by UCyborg
Formatting

On 9/27/2020 at 2:26 AM, UCyborg said:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20130327-00/?p=4833

Enable desktop composition is no longer an option to disable, which would result in a radical change how the desktop and windows are rendered, which is why you saw what you saw on Windows 7.

So it's mostly about subjective perception whether you like the things listed there or not. Obviously windows will still (dis)appear faster if their animation is disabled, but those animations shouldn't bog your computer down if left enabled.

if im not mistaken, but isn't aero snap, aero shake, and aero peek still seperate from desktop composition anyways? yes, indeed you can't disable desktop composition on windows 10 anymore ( at least, i can't seem to find the desktop windows session manager service in services.msc anymore ), but i was just wondering on the more specifics. also, do you know if the "themes" service affects any of this? i think when you disabled themes on windows 7, it did something specific immediately in the background but i don't remember. is there any harm in disabling themes in windows 10 services.msc? 

Aero Peek depends on desktop composition, the other two are independent. Disabling Themes service breaks the ability to switch themes on the fly, it'll only be done partially if you try to change it. Simpler things will go through, but if new theme uses another resource file, that won't be loaded.