Weird issue when installing Unofficial HTML Help Update

Ximonite

I have been dealing with a very weird issue with Windows 98.

When I install MDGx's Unofficial HTML Help Update, the GPU stops outputting a display signal. The only way to recover is to reboot the machine. This does not happen with any other update, including other updates made by MDGx.

This happens every time I try to install this update and never happens with any other update.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

8 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

More information is required to help. Is KernelEx installed has to be known? I am a bit experienced with this. I assume you have nVidia video card?

KernelEx is not installed, and I have an nVidia video card.

10 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

MDGX's unofficial updates use NIRCMD to kill some processes, maybe that's the problem. Try with this update, does it happen also?:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/VBVM60.EXE

Does this happen even if GPU drivers are not installed? (using default VGA drivers)

This also happens with the file you linked. I am using the default VGA drivers.

When re-installing drivers or changing video cards, install the standard graphics driver before shutting down windows. Have you installed an unofficial service pack? One file I do recommend is cabinet.dll from XPSP3 5.1.2600.5512. This version is good and does not create a problem for my machine. Certain versions prior and after this do cause problems in that my machine slows down a bit and various graphic display marginal outputting occurs in menus and the pie graph side menu display. I use the unofficial nVidia 4.14.10.8269 drivers. They seem to cover all devices without any problems.

On 6/30/2020 at 2:04 AM, MrMateczko said:

Try installing the graphic drivers and see if it still happens.

Installing the graphics drivers fixed the issue.