Edge "Important" Update

WalksInSilence

Unusually today there was a notification in my system tray about an important Windows update. It turned out to be Edge, absentmindedly I forgot I don't have Edge installed on the particular PC I was using and clicked to install the 'update'.

All I can say is I'm very thankful for System Restore.

The bloody arrogant thing installed Edge and actually launched on top of my desktop after boot and with, initially, no way out, I used Task Manager to kill it.

With System Restore and other tools I've since removed as much evidence that it was on the machine as I've been able to find and hidden the update when it was 'offered' again. The 'update' is still shown as successfully installed under Updates but if you go to installed updates it is not there so, presumably, that just means it was successfully installed at the time and that's all.

In short - when offered an 'important' update check before you install it.

At least on my systems, it was a "recommended" update. Still, ludicrous rating for what it is, completely optional software.

You may benefit from verifying that this checkbox is unchecked in Windows Update settings.
image.png.36c6ad92acdc53ca8b1f4717b644f0af.png

:)

I use the 'Check for updates but let me choose...............etc" and do have that recommended updates box ticked too.

Consequently I can't blame anything other than my own casualness for downloading and installing it on the PC concerned.