Sympathy for a new user :-)

euthymic

Hey Guys,

I must say that I have been super excited to use XPCREATE and I think it's a great tool. However, as a fledgling newbie I seem to be running into a few problems that I hope some of you more expereinced users might have some insight on.

I have been using Jono's Windows update to download the required files and I seem to be having some hotfixes that, while downloaded and placed in the appropriate directory, aren't being applied to the burn (i.e., when I check with Windows updates I have three hotfixes 837001, 828741, and 835732) that are not being applied. I'm using a WINXP (NO SP) for the files and have SP1a in the spacks directory.

I had previously made a disk last month (again with Jono's tools) and it brought a big smile to my face to see at the MS site (no current updates). Can anyone take a look at my log file and help me regain that smile :-) or help me identify what hotfix may be clashing with my setup.

BTW, I also tried using the directory structure/files suggusted by shareef59 but still had the same problems (i.e., not all the hotfixes were applied).

Thanks again for any help or ideas.

XPCREATE.LOG

XPCREATE.LOG

when did you download the files from my download script the updates you mentioned may have been added so please re run my download file and download the files make sure they are in the folders then please post back.

edit i note you have already said the files are there after re reading :) all i can suggest is that you wait for greenmachine to look over your log file and see what he thinks.

Edited by Jono

Thanks Green Machine, I appreciate your dedication for this project. I’ll await any changes you make to XPMCE with greater logging and if you have any thing you would like me to test, just let me know.

Thanks again,

-Euthymic

I suspect a fix has been found.

Alanoll (in another thread) described what I believe to have been the problem. It looks like Jono's download manager grabbed the "update files" (284kb) of the offending files instead of the full files (2-3 meg each). I'll give this a try and report of it fixes the problem (which it looks like it should).

GreenMachine,

Any chance that you could include the file size data on your "current hotfixes" webpage as an added failsafe that the proper files were downloaded?

Thanks again for this great project.

-Euthymic

Good News!!

Just burned after manually downloading hotfixes 837001, 828741, and 835732. Everything went great and windows update (& the basline security analyser) showed no updates to be had (with the exception of the advanced networking pack which I expected). :)

Looks like Alanoll correctly identified the culprit with regards to those of us relying on Jono's automated downloader not grabbing the full size versions of the offending hotfixes. I for one would not have caught this on my own.

Thanks everyone for your great work...

-Euthymic