McAfee VirusScan v8.0

paul3vanz

Hi, I noticed quite a few requests for a way to install it. Might have the answer here:

When you run the main setup exe, which for me is 13.3mb. It does some unpacking then brings up a EULA. I had a look in:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp"

and there was a folder called "vsp8.tmp"

so here's all the unpacked files yeah? if you open up "AgentVer.ini" there's this section at the bottom:

[installConfig]Welcome="-1"

SilentInstall="0"

DesktopIcon="-1"

CreateProgramShortcut="1"

ProgramMenuFolderName=""

ProgramMenuShortcutName=""

UninstMenuShortcutName=""

CreateUninstShortcut="0"

DefIsduSend="1"

RunInsfin="1"

RemoveSetupFiles="0"

CDRomBuild="1"

MISInstall="-1"

RunMcUpdate="0"

lo and behold there's a SilentInstall switch! As I said I've not tried this to see if it works, but I will do and let you know the results. Looks like there's some other interesting options here aswell.

i then tried using the original exe with /SilentInstall and it does actually work. Only problem is it doesn't skip the licence agreement.

any ideas anyone!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm Trying to make a silent install for mcafee 8, but I think I got the same problem as you did describe, I can't get it to hide the eula message.

I've tried editing the ini file you mentioned, but that didn't seem to do anything.

There was someone that did make a js script for adaware, maybe something like that is needed here too, all it should do is send this key sequence: "<u><tab><tab><enter>"

unfortunatly I don't know anything about js :)

Hi,

hmm...is not the same but....

I have created a mcafee Virusscan Enterprise 7.00 silent Installation.

I used the Mcafee Installation designer to implement my settings.

But the setup.exe doesn´t work silent until i added /q /i after the setup.exe

"setup.exe /q /i"

...i hope it will help

by

For s***s-n-giggles, I emailed tech support to see if they could be of any help. Their initial reply said it couldn't be done. After replying with a question as to why their previous version supported this feature, but an "upgrade" didn't, this is what I received.

----- Original Message -----

To: ThatGuyPSU

Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2004 3:46 AM

Subject: RE: Request for Agent Assistance-#430010455880#-

Dear Todd,

Thank you for contacting McAfee Consumer Online Support. My name is Samuel.  Having reviewed your e-mail regarding installing McAfee VirusScan silently; I would be happy to support you in resolving your issue.

From the task bar click on start -->> search -->> for files and folders -->> search the file  mcappins.exe in the CD.

Now, from the task bar click on start -->> run -->> click to highlight the mcappins.exe file then  while holding the left mouse button drag that file in the run window. Now, hit the space bar key to give a space then type /vsocfg.ini  then hit the enter key.

Thank you for visiting McAfee Online Support. I appreciate the opportunity to support your needs. You may receive a survey asking for your comments on this e-mail experience.  Your feedback will help to ensure that I'm providing the highest quality service possible.

Regards,

Samuel S

Technical Support Agent

McAfee Online Technical Support

JHI1001

===============================================================================

I tried his suggestion, and it worked... all the way till the end when a FINISHED box pops up. :)

Too bad because McAfee runs circles around NAV as far as I'm concerned.

i tried what the guy replied in the email.but still didnt work for me ... did u edit anything in the vsocfg.ini or other files befor it worked with u ????? ill put it at the end and it wont matter if it gives u a finished msg :)