100% CPU usage problem

WoRdUp48

I've been having a problem in the last few days with my system. It slows down to a crawl for some unknown reason, and when I check the CPU usage in Task Manager, it says 100%. I'm not quite sure what is causing it. I don't think I have installed anything or done anything different lately, this problem just seemed to come on suddenly.

Is there anyway I can find out what is causing all this cpu usage. Is there any sort of utility or anything that I can d/l to find out what is causing the problem? It's really bugging me.

On another note, a reboot fixes the problem. And then about a day or so later, the problem starts up again.

Any help regarding this matter would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

WoRdUp48

Thanks for the reply Jono.

I have Ad-aware on my system already, so I updated that to the newest reference file and ran the scan, It just came up with a few cookies as it normally does, and I wiped those off.

I have NAV2003 Pro on here, so I updated my virus definitions, and ran a manual scan. It came up with nothing as well.

So I'm not sure what it is.

If system specs would help, they are:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Mobo

AMD XP 2700+

1 GB Crucial Memory

80 GB WD

120 GB Seagate

GeForce 4 Ti4200

If you need anymore info, just let me know!

Thanks

try spybot pestpatrol

sometimes they find different stuff....

which process is causing 100% usage?

if cpu usage column is not shown in your task manager

go to view

go to select columns

choose cpu usage.

now u should be able to see which process is causing that value..

Thanks XtremeMac.

I have ran scans with all three adware programs (Spybot, Pestpatrol, Ad-aware) and ran virus scans with both McAfee and Norton, so I think I've pretty well done all I can. So far, so good. The 100% cpu usage only crops up every once in a while, so I'll let you know if anything happens, say, in the next week or so.

I appreciate the help and advice given thus far. I've been a member here since before most of the "old guys", its been close to 3 years now (3 years in September anyway). I mostly just idle and learn from other peoples posts, and its great how people here give quick replies! Thanks again!

WoRdUp48