Win 7, no USB drivers

Asp

I just bought an Thinkpad X230. It came with a new generic install of Win7.
Wifi works, ethernet works.
Sound didn't work so I got the Realtek drivers from Lenovo, and that mostly works, though it has randomly stopped working a few times and needs to be de/re-activated to get sound again.

But apparently no USB devices work, on any of the 3 ports. It detects the device, then just says "installation failed", for both thumb drive and USB keyboard.

Hardware is OK since I can boot  from a thumbdrive and run Linux.

I got the Lenovo "Update and Drivers". It had a bunch of "critical" things it wanted to install, so I did that. Then when it rebooted, the system failed to boot and had to go back to a restore point, fortunately that seems no worse than before. Rerunning the Lenovo update again, it now says nothing to install. I don't know if it really checked if its previous run worked, or is just using its record that it did it.

I went to Device Manager and uninstalled all the USB controllers, then did a "scan for hardware changes", which is what I do on my desktop PC when some of its USB ports get stupid. But now the TP shows 3 USB controllers with yellow !, and if I open them, "no drivers installed" and if I try "Update", it fails to find any.

-- There is one USB 3 port, and I installed the Lenovo/Intel driver for that. However, nothing I plug into it is detected.

Is this a purely MS problem? I don't have the Win install media, I will go back to the vendor for it, but that will take several days. Though I never had to choose to get MOBO USB drivers , surely that is not optional.

Any other way to resolve this to run Win 7? (I need Win 7, regardless of the virtues of other OSes.)

usb-dm.png.10bc886d711ea659b93a63cad9a1f6f8.png

Edited by Asp

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Yeah, I've already installed them, as I said above.

It's the USB2 drivers that are AWOL.

The X230 has two USB2 ports and one USB3 port. The "properties" open in the screencap are for a USB2 port.

There are drivers for the USB3, but it doesn't detect anything I plug into it. Maybe they aren't independent of the USB2 drivers.

I asked someone with the same model and OS to check, they have these drivers:

USB Serial Bus Controllers
(2x) Generic USB Hub
- MS 6/21/2006 V: 6.1.7601.21832
(2x) Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset family USB enhanced host controller - 1E26 (and 1E2d)
- Intel 8/26/2011 V: 9.3.0.1011
Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host controller
- Intel 2/27/2012 V: 1.0.4.220
Intel USB 3.0 Root Hub
- Intel 2/27/2012 V: 1.0.4.220
USB Composite Device
- MS 6/21/2006 V: 6.1.7601.21832
(2x) USB Root Hub
- MS 6/21/2006 V: 6.1.7601.17701

I.e., MS drivers. I don't know why they aren't in my device manager.

Presumably they are on my disk-- any idea what the filenames are? What directory they should be in so I can try to point "update" to them. Or do I need Windows install media?

When I search the disk for "USB" I see a lot of system files like :

amd64_microsoft-windows-usbui_.....

But the mobo is intel. Is that the problem?

Edited by Asp

Hmmm.

Try removing all USB related devices (those with the exclamation mark), reboot and see what happens.

Along the lines of:

http://farmtek.net/win7_driver_fix.htm

Check also hidden devices, *like* here:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/165554-usb-driver-general-fix-problems.html

Personally I would use devcon, instructions here:

https://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php

actual freely redistributable file (recompiled from the orignal MS source) here:

to list all USB related drivers:

DEVCON DriverFiles =USB

and to list all devices:

DEVCON Findall =USB

saving the lists to .txt files and compare them against the same files on your friend's system.

jaclaz

DEVCON DriverFiles =USB

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E26&SUBSYS_21FA17AA&REV_04\3&21436425&0&E8
    Name: Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E26
    No driver information available for the device.
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E2D&SUBSYS_21FA17AA&REV_04\3&21436425&0&D0
    Name: Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E2D
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&SUBSYS_21FA17AA&REV_04\3&21436425&0&A0
    Name: Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller
IUSB3\ROOT_HUB30\4&1059F7DE&1
    Name: Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub
4 matching device(s) found.

devcon findall =USB

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E26&SUBSYS_21FA17AA&REV_04\3&21436425&0&E8: Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E26
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E2D&SUBSYS_21FA17AA&REV_04\3&21436425&0&D0: Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E2D
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&SUBSYS_21FA17AA&REV_04\3&21436425&0&A0: Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller
USB\VID_1F75&PID_0902\09021000001108046300000127            : USB Mass Storage Device
USB\VID_FFFF&PID_5678\9207120B49626808901                   : USB Mass Storage Device
IUSB3\ROOT_HUB30\4&1059F7DE&1                               : Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub
6 matching device(s) found.

Good :), though if you can it would be useful to compare those to your friend's ones.

The Mass Storage devices seem to me like not relevant (even if the may be part of the mess).

What happens if you delete the devices and lt after reboot Windows 7  find them?

Or try forcing the instal of these (x86/x64):

http://driverpacks.net/catalog-drivers/device_id/hwid-PCI\VEN_8086%26DEV_1E2D?os=windows-7-x86

http://driverpacks.net/catalog-drivers/device_id/hwid-PCI\VEN_8086%26DEV_1E2D?os=windows-7-x64

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

10 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Good :), though if you can it would be useful to compare those to your friend's ones.

Not a friend, someone I  asked on a Thinkpad forum. Don't want to nag them. Anyway, this does not seem to involve any non-MS drivers,

The Mass Storage devices seem to me like not relevant (even if the may be part of the mess).

What happens if you delete the devices and lt after reboot Windows 7  find them?

First thing I tried. same result, no drivers.

I also tried unhiding all devices and then deleting all the USB devices -- did a hardware scan and back to the same "unknown devices"  

Or try forcing the install of these (x86/x64):

How do you "force" install? I try "update driver", give it the location of the unzipped files, and it just says "Could not find driver software". 

Edited by Asp

1 hour ago, Asp said:

How do you "force" install? I try "update driver", give it the location of the unzipped files, and it just says "Could not find driver software". 

Yep, that's it.

Maybe then they are not the "right" drivers. :dubbio:

Please try again as in the post https://msfn.org/board/topic/178354-win-7-no-usb-drivers/

But click on the tab "Details" to get the PCI\VEN & DEV.

This madness usually happens when there is a (bad/wrong/whatever) driver included in the OS that "prevails" on the new one, but shouldn't happen in your case because you are in Code 28, i.e. no drivers installed. :unsure:

You can still try with pnputil:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/pnputil-command-syntax

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/pnputil-examples

but before that let's check the actual PCI\VEN & DEV of the "unknown device"

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz