Setting Up Windows Updates Manually on Windows RT 8.1

Jody Thornton

Hello!  I've acquired a Surface RT tablet, which works quite nicely for what I'm considering using it for (mostly tablet use with Metro apps).  I've learned that "officially", Automatic Updates cannot be defeated.  Yes, I realize that I can turn off the Windows Update service, but I want to be able to be notified of updates, but choose when to download and install them.  Apparently that is not an option.  And using Group Policy to disable Automatic Updates is not compatible with Windows RT.

Now a number of pages describe editing the registry by going to the key:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update (I ihad to create the last two keys).  Then there were two suggestions.  Adding the REG_DWORDS "AUOptions" and "StopAutoUpdate" - setting both to "1".  Still after a reboot, Windows Update is still set to download updates automatically.

Has anyone any experience in trying to get this to work in RT?  By the way, is the Windows 8 Forum the best spot to post RT questions?

Try AUOptions=dword:1 in the same key.

Link

I guessed it even before finding that link, that is the option to usually control updates (and Microsoft doesn't want to know about option 1 and usually omits it from descriptions).

Edited by GrofLuigi

Well I managed to get it working (or more accurately get Windows Updates set to be manual).  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update was the key I needed to edit.  I set AUOptions to "1" and cached AUOprions also to "1".  Updates won't be sought after automatically, but you can search manually.

I also disabled Windows Defender completely since on an ARM tablet, they'll not likely run, and that really increases perfomance.  I'm really enjoying this Surface tablet

Am I actually the FIRST person to post anything about Windows RT?  I wondered if the Windows 8 section was the correct area to post.