Display of icons from large executables

j7n

I have noticed that older versions of Windows will not extract and display an icon from executable files over a certain size (over 600 to 1100 MB). There doesn't seem to be a nice round limit below which icons would be guaranteed to show. Until now, from experience with my own computer, I assumed that size was 1 GB, and I have made self-extracting archives with this volume size. However, on another XP computer the files would show the default blue window icon. On Windows 98, even 700 MB files are without an icon. A Server 2003 installation with only 384 MB of RAM will show icons of all files except one which is 1.17 GB. Vista shows all icons.

The actual prepended program where the icon might be located is actually only a few hundred KB, and Windows is aware of it. When running the program over network, only a small portion gets downloaded. Unrelated to the question at hand, XP SP2 appears to download slightly more while searching for the cursed digital signature, and is noticeably more unresponsive compared to Windows 2000 or XP SP1. Neither displays an icon.

I am curious where the limit is set, if it is a function of available memory, swap file, memory fragmentation or... ?