Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

ppgrainbow

Last Versions of Software for Windows 95

i was wondering if anyone can upload cpu-z 1.32.1, i can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet, i've only found 1.32, however, 1.32.1 includes bug fixes and improved support that is not found in 1.32. 

23 minutes ago, cov3rt said:

i was wondering if anyone can upload cpu-z 1.32.1, i can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet, i've only found 1.32, however, 1.32.1 includes bug fixes and improved support that is not found in 1.32. 

CPU-Z 1.32.1 :)

• Upvote 1

Elaborate Bytes Virtual Clone Drive version 5.4.2.1 (2009) is the latest working version for Windows 95.

And it's great, it lets you mount ISO files as a cd rom or even DVD and it works just fine and it's much faster than your average 20 year old real CD-Rom drive.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Virtual-CloneDrive/old-versions#downloadold

Another rather new application that will still work on Windows 95 is IrfanView, the latest (working) version being 4.44 from 2017.

If you're familiar with msi files (by familiar I mean if you know how to modify them) you can also convince MS Works version 7 from 2002 to work on Windows 95 almost flawlessly.

I tried to run VLC Media Player 0.8.6d on Virtual PC 2007 running Windows 95 and got this error instead:

vlc-error.thumb.png.d5c8ea4355bb3447903fdc6945af321c.png

The error above references LIBVLC.DLL at 014F-62A2FF535. Can you confirm which version of VLC Media Player is the last to work under Windows 95 when running it under Virtual PC 2007, VMware Player or VirtualBox?

The current version of Windows 95 that I'm using is version 4.00.950 (original release) and I might not have applied the updates correctly when I first installed it.

2 hours ago, ppgrainbow said:

I tried to run VLC Media Player 0.8.6d on Virtual PC 2007 running Windows 95 and got this error instead:

vlc-error.thumb.png.d5c8ea4355bb3447903fdc6945af321c.png

The error above references LIBVLC.DLL at 014F-62A2FF535. Can you confirm which version of VLC Media Player is the last to work under Windows 95 when running it under Virtual PC 2007, VMware Player or VirtualBox?

The current version of Windows 95 that I'm using is version 4.00.950 (original release) and I might not have applied the updates correctly when I first installed it.

Win95 is not SSE2-capable

10 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

Win95 is not SSE2-capable

Thank you for explaining this. Was there a version of VLC Medial Player that didn't even require SSE2 instructions? If so, what version the last to not require SSE2 support?

9 hours ago, ppgrainbow said:

Thank you for explaining this. Was there a version of VLC Medial Player that didn't even require SSE2 instructions? If so, what version the last to not require SSE2 support?

i am pretty sure i've used .8.6f working on builds as old as pentium iii hardware for windows 95, and .8.6d shouldn't be any different, i am not sure where this windows 95 does not support sse2 comes from, although i can see where using a slightly older version of vlc would be better for added compatibility ( forwards and backwards ) on any system so you don't run into issues like the one that is being explained here, i do not know if any exists though, the only time i had an issue with vlc .8.6f that is, was when i ran it on the dell inspiron 2650 with a "Half working" geforce2 go driver with hardware acceleration disabled, and vlc wouldn't run at all, i don't remember the error message, i did not use any virtual software, this was all real hardware. 

If sse2 cpus have extra registers that Win95 doesn't know about, they won't get re/stored when tasks are switched. This means that if at any time more than one thread of one app is using sse2 instruction registers, data corruption will probably occur.

Perhaps VLC 0.8.6 doesn't require sse2, but can use it if available. Because apps that can use sse2 are likely also multi-threaded, Virtual PC 2007 should be configured to emulate no higher than a Pentium III for use with Win95.