are there any linux system emulators for windows?

kaibab

Cygwin

Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows. It consists of two parts:

A DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a Linux emulation layer providing substantial Linux API functionality.

A collection of tools, which provide Linux look and feel.

I don't know if that'll work, but it seems like it would. I've used it to run KDE on Windows.

Check out Cooperative Linux.

Cooperative Linux is the first working free and open source method for optimally running Linux on Microsoft Windows natively. More generally, Cooperative Linux (short-named coLinux) is a port of the Linux kernel that allows it to run cooperatively alongside another operating system on a single machine. For instance, it allows one to freely run Linux on Windows 2000/XP, without using a commercial PC virtualization software such as VMware, in a way which is much more optimal than using any general purpose PC virtualization software. In its current condition, it allows us to run the KNOPPIX Japanese Edition on Windows.

I haven't tried it out myself (yet!), but my understanding is that it will run from within a virtual file system somewhat like VMWare does.

I saw it on OSNews lately and it seemed like it was kind of like what you wanted so I mentioned it...