Massive Baseball Card Collection Discovered in Texas

Monroe

He must have never said anything to anyone as he collected cards through the years ... just his wife seemed to know about the collection.

From the article:

"The widow of a San Antonio man got the surprise of her life when a chance meeting led to the discovery that the baseball card collection her husband had left her was worth six figures.

The woman, who did not wish to be identified, had left the cards where her husband placed them before his death in 2007: neatly filed and stacked in ringbinders and folders across shelf after shelf of a spare room."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3624605/Big-money-cards-Texas-widow-chance-encounter-Bible-study-session-leads-discovery-baseball-card-collection-worth-six-figures.html

By James Wilkinson For Dailymail.com

Published: 03 June 2016

Big money on the cards for Texas widow after Bible study classmate realizes she is sitting on a baseball card collection worth six figures

The collection was amassed between the 1940s and 2007 in San Antonio

The widow, who doesn't wish to be named, had no idea of their value

But the husband of a woman she met in Bible study class certainly did

He put her in touch with expert Al Crisafulli who said it was 'staggering'

Crisafulli is now auctioning the cards and expects at least $100,000

And the majority of that money will go to the family, he promises 

Edited by monroe

How about that ... it's the first I've heard of it ... today. I even went into Google to look for a better news link with better pictures. I read it at Fox News first but the link I provided earlier had a picture of the room with the card collection. The link I posted earlier seem to have a better picture of the room.

They were both dated June 3rd ... like the news had just hit the wires.

Well, still an interesting find ... what I can't understand is, since 2007 ... when her husband passed away, the woman never once had an interest in knowing anything of their "possible" value ... also, when he was alive and collecting the cards, he never once wanted someone or a few people to enjoy looking at his card collection.

That's kind of sad but maybe he worried about someone breaking into his house to steal cards if the news got around about his collection ... but I'm sure he would have enjoyed showing off his collection to a few fellow collectors and spend time talking "baseball cards".

News for these types of things are usually responsible. I think for the past few major "finds" as they are called (this one is known as The Texas Find) have not shown up on news websites until after the cards have been acquired by a third party or auction house.

I'm not sure how big of news story it would be if it was to be found out he had a large collection when he was alive. Many people have collections of this size, either publicly or privately. So when this news broke, it was just "kind of neat" but not really newsworthy to me. In fact, the Daily Mail article is only really writing about the fact that the items are currently up for auction. There is nothing special about the collection itself, other than the whole chance meeting being a feel good story.

Thanks for the extra information and link ... at first when I originally read the article, I wondered why the value was only around $100,000 ... but the collection is mostly modern type cards. I guess early Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb cards and such were not part of the collection, so I guess the total price fits the collection.

The collector never went after some older more expensive cards it seems ... still impressive but I guess he got enjoyment just for himself with his collection ... didn't seem to talk about it or show it around ... the photo only shows half of the collection ... amazing.

Edited by monroe