Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
Jody Thornton

Weird Context Menus on Taskbar Items

Hi Folks:

I noticed whenever I right-click on an open program in the taskbar, I get a jumbled image like below:

Taskbar%20Issue.jpg

Now I've been told that the update KB3072318 is responsible for a similar issue in Windows 8.1.  Once uninstalled, the issue goes away.  But what about Windows 8?  I don't have that update.

Now I noticed that if I don't use an unsigned theme, the problem also goes away.  As soon as I use an unsigned theme, the jumbled context menus return.

I am using UxStyle, for what it's worth.  I really prefer to use my custom visual style, so if anyone knows of a solution, I'm all ears.

Cheers All (had have a good Christmas)

:)

Actually I found a solution that works for me.  I've downloaded and installed 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, with allows me to just use the old "Vista-Style" context menu (minimize, restore and colse choices).  So goodbye jump list for now.

I built mine with Windows Style Builder when I used the Windows 8.1 Evaluation Edition last year.  Would there be an issue if I use it with Windows 8?

I'll try some known Windows 8-specific visual styles and see what I come up with.

Just an update if anyone had a similar issue.  I'm pretty sure I experienced those symptoms because my VS was built while I was running it on Windows 8.1 in a VM.  And now I'm using it in Windows 8.  It works with Taskbar Tweaker though in every other respect.