UAC and PIN

opdenis

On my Windows 10 I don't use MS account, instead I use local accound with password and PIN.

When I have used MS account login, I have logged into system with my local account which was in User group. My admin account was signed with MS account. So when I wanted to call admin rights, there was UAC prompt with PIN by default.

Now I use admin account without MS authorization and by default UAC appears with PASSWORD prompt. I can choose PIN, but it is in the second row, so I cannot just type numbers...

Is there a way to set PIN field active by default?

I'm sorry I don't know how to advise you to correct this, but it does bring a general question to mind...

Is using a PIN with a few numbers somehow better than setting up an alphanumeric password, when used with a local account?

I do understand that a PIN could be better for protecting an individual device when an ID / password that gets you into your entire realm of devices is used, and you feel your password may be compromised because it might be guessable or otherwise have become available to others.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I can see one way that it might be good to use a pin. If you are logging in with your MS account and don't want use the same login info on the local computer. I said that kinda wired sorry for that. here is a quote:

by Rodalli on redit

Essentially, Microsoft is enabling you to use your laptop or desktop the same way you would a Windows Phone (or an iPhone, or an Android). You can use a PIN to unlock the device, but a password is still used with your MS account (Apple account/Google account, etc.), in order to access your email, OneDrive, the app store, etc. from any other location. It's another layer of protection. The PIN isn't intended to replace your account password for anything other than unlocking the device.

source

Yes, its better - this is my home PC. Only my wife and I use it ;)

My child is too small yet :)

You didn't answer the question about why you feel it's better, but that's okay if you don't want to.

The reason I asked is because I was just going to suggest setting the password to the same number as the PIN.

-Noel

Yes, its better - this is my home PC. Only my wife and I use it ;)

My child is too small yet :)

You didn't answer the question about why you feel it's better, but that's okay if you don't want to.

The reason I asked is because I was just going to suggest setting the password to the same number as the PIN.

-Noel

I see.

The PIN is quicker - I don't need to press Enter and use my "strong" password :)