WOW Dual boot with Enterprise LTSB 90 day Evaluation

maxXPsoft

Heh, seems to me to be more evidence that Microsoft is trying to morph older systems into becoming Windows 10.  Probably they saw that the usage rate of Windows 8.1 has been flat for something like 2 months now.

That would be cool except that Windows 10 is nothing special, technically.  A lot of folks, me included, regard the things it does as no better and in some cases worse than what's already been available.  The Start Menu is a good example - when compared to 3rd party tools like Classic Shell, for example.

In any case, this change seems irrelevant to me - Classic Shell does everything I need in a Start Menu, and has since wayyy back.

-Noel

Mine is not that much slower. I look at Noels Ad Hoc win 10 image and wonder how my junky old system is beating his Haswell. Mine is MBR and not UEFI. This is just an HP I bought at Sam's at the time

Found the win 7 image I made before upgrade to 10240 on my external usb drive. Installed and I'm activated. Did a full image back so only win 7 on this drive right now. Mine are not VM

5fw2sC5.jpg

That's not terribly different than the differences between the systems that I saw and documented.  It's pretty clear that - other than image rendering, which does matter - the Win 7 Aero Glass UI is generally quicker, which is surprising.

Did you find, as I did, that Win 10 is overall a bit slower than Win 7 with regard to file access as well?  Arguably, if you're trying to work with the system, that will matter more than UI responsiveness.

By the way, one thing that's often influencing anecdotal reports in all this is that the UI (of all Windows systems) has many places where there are built-in delays - for example there's a delay that kicks in when you hover over a menu or Taskbar button.  The thing is, those delays can be shortened to make any system feel more responsive.

The important factor is that once those delays are tweaked, Win 7 seems (to me at least) to feel a little more responsive than a similarly tweaked Win 10.  Once you move the arbitrary delays out of the way, then you're relying on actual performance.

There's no end to the trickery coming from Microsoft, designed to influence people's tastes.

I look at Noels Ad Hoc win 10 image and wonder how my junky old system is beating his Haswell.

That's easy:  You have a graphics card, I don't.  My Haswell system is running its display from the on-board GPU in the processor - which is a low-end Intel Pentium G3220 with Intel® HD Graphics.

That BOTH our systems, with entirely different display drivers, are more 2D display-efficient overall in Win 7 says something about Win 10, and especially that the removal of Aero Glass has nothing to do with performance.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

That's not terribly different than the differences between the systems that I saw and documented.  It's pretty clear that - other than image rendering, which does matter - the Win 7 Aero Glass UI is generally quicker, which is surprising.

Did you find, as I did, that Win 10 is overall a bit slower than Win 7 with regard to file access as well?  Arguably, if you're trying to work with the system, that will matter more than UI responsiveness.

By the way, one thing that's often influencing anecdotal reports in all this is that the UI (of all Windows systems) has many places where there are built-in delays - for example there's a delay that kicks in when you hover over a menu or Taskbar button.  The thing is, those delays can be shortened to make any system feel more responsive.

The important factor is that once those delays are tweaked, Win 7 seems (to me at least) to feel a little more responsive than a similarly tweaked Win 10.  Once you move the arbitrary delays out of the way, then you're relying on actual performance.

There's no end to the trickery coming from Microsoft, designed to influence people's tastes.

I look at Noels Ad Hoc win 10 image and wonder how my junky old system is beating his Haswell.

That's easy:  You have a graphics card, I don't.  My Haswell system is running its display from the on-board GPU in the processor - which is a low-end Intel Pentium G3220 with Intel® HD Graphics.

That BOTH our systems, with entirely different display drivers, are more 2D display-efficient overall in Win 7 says something about Win 10, and especially that the removal of Aero Glass has nothing to do with performance.

-Noel

Well that's what I have been saying this whole time:  

"aero glass" is kind of a part of the whole

Desktop Window Manager  can't be turned off in Windows 8/10 ...so that IS a performance hit..

you could disable it on windows 7

IF you turn OFF desktop window manager in windows 7 

you WILL get better stability and performance 

Aero is "Pretty" but NOT needed and causes issues in Adobe and like i wrote GUI rendering on VST Plugins

I had LOTS of Lagging of GUI on Waves Plugins found out it's Aero/DWM causing the error.

On Laptops with quad core, dedicated Nvidia and 16+ gb ram should not have issues.....you would think.

Windows 10 is slower than 7 with file access. 

As i was saying about winrar 5.30 speeds are slower than vista/7

the start menu lags alot.  the UI lags (on Vista,7,8.1 The "flyouts"  are instant)

it will hang on shutdown from "program manager"

I installed Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 enterprise to test some things on fresh install... and you can notice a difference in responsiveness VS. Windows 10 on this same machine.

like i wrote before

This cheap old Laptop i have been running this LTSB N x64 on for about a month now. so it's had time to settle and get dirty.

before that I had Vista on it. factory installed BUT I went thru it and cleaned it up of garbage. services and other b.s.

I'm  using the same stock 1gb memory but i replaced the HD with another cheap 5400 Wd blue

So NOTHING speed/fancy for this tech laptop

I notice a difference in performance between Vista and LTSB N ...

It's common sense....  you know what your machine is "capable of" and I'm not expecting this machine to be blazing fast but HOW is it Vista/Windows 7 runs Faster on it than 10 LTSB (the most stripped version available) ??

Like i wrote before... I keep trying to make myself believe I'm imagining the "slowness" of windows 10 but it's there...

The ONLY thing ever slowing this old laptop down is the low ram and flash on websites BUT I already know how this machine performs taking that into consideration with windows 10

For what it's worth, testing shows that disabling Aero Glass and composition in Win 7 (e.g., by switching to the Classic "theme", which is actually a lack of theme) reduces performance fairly significantly.  It's because the GPU is no longer used and the CPU has to do more of the busy work of pushing pixel data around.

It's a misnomer than GPU-accelerated desktop composition (and Aero Glass) negatively affects performance.  It's one of those odd things in life that "sounds plausible" but is in fact exactly wrong.  And thus Microsoft uses it to spread FUD.

-Noel