Windows 7 Resetbase backport

harkaz

In MBs: 6959 MB reduced to 4914 MB (winsxs folder).

Still working on registry, curious to see whether WU/CheckSUR will accept some additional changes I will attempt in the following days.

so its 7 gigs down to 5 hmm

maybe it would help you if you make language selector

and SKU selector (or auto detect)

based on that many additional files can be ditched

Edited by vinifera

The SP1 RTM (MS) x86 image winsxs folder size is about 3985 MB. This is the "theoritical" minimum we could reach without removing components. Of course we cannot reach that size because of the compressed base versions and catalog/manifest files that must be present.

But I can further reduce size:

90 MB in the specific image by cleaning the ManifestCache folder.

About 60 or more MBs by cleaning up inactive version Manifests in the Manifest folder.

Compressing older servicing stack versions (currently not done)  will reduce size by about 40 MB.

*Also I consider compressing some inactive MSIL versions may reduce size even more, haven't tested yet.

I don't want to want to touch any language packs or staged components that might be required during Windows Anytime Upgrade (although almost nobody uses it, I am perfectionist).

Edited by harkaz

I am yet to clear registry, but kinda too lazy to do it, as its input is mere 30 MB all together

but i cleared manifest files accordingly with my removed SxS files

so now WinSxS is 730 MB on disk and 460 MB compressed in WIM :P

not image, its just the SxS folder

OS image is still 1.2 GB unfortunately

but my base removal (from sxs) is:

"non mine" SKU's

"non my lang and en_us" files, those with (none) stay ofcorse

and removal of those which are older build number (with few exceptions)

Backup folder removed

Manifests cleaned accordingly with removed SxS files

.NET 3 removed

----------

edit 2

well you were right regarding RTM components

the hive surely shows alot of it being used not caring for latest updated ones (which to me have no sense at all)

and Canonical Data - sjeez if YOU manage to clean that shit out then hats off - i'm not touching that

as for last key (forgot its name) which also lists whole SxS folder structure

that one is cleanable easy, this I'll do later today and try quick install OS in VM with

standard tests :P

Edited by vinifera

Service Pack install is actually the ultimate test of image serviceability.

Because it updates almost every Windows Component, one can get a very good idea of what "extreme" errors can popup.

Even Software Licensing Service has complained, cancelling the SP installation at 90%!

(Working on this).

As you understand I'm close to finishing the actual coding. Then i will add some error handling and will hopefully release rebase.

Rebase Alpha Build has been reached.

Features to add until Beta:

- The base compression option will cause issues with future service pack installation, because the SP installer (actually the servicing stack) forces superseded (by post-RTM updates) base (RTM=6.1.7600.16385) versions to become active again and it's not clever enough to see it is compressed. Consequently the base compression will be performed only if the OPTIONAL  -extreme switch is used. You will be able to decompress the base at any time using the OPTIONAL -decompressbase switch and properly install any service pack/big update rollups that cause this behaviour. After installing such packages you will be able to recompress with -extreme switch. (Marking update as permanent does not fix this).

- Remove superseded packages before scavenging winners and marking all updates as permanent.

From Beta to Final:

Error handling, Resources, Documentation, EULA, Release Trailer.

Edited by harkaz

It should be an issue with SPs only. Since SP1 is the last one for Windows 7, I don't think there will be any updates forcing the superseded base versions.

Still, to be 101% safe, the base compression option will be offered seperately.

Edited by harkaz