Recover files from bricked Ntfs

pointertovoid

Hello nice people!

Recently, two Ntfs volumes were bricked separately by two Xp here. Nothing tragic, but it would be comfortable to recover the files - and it's a good opportunity to train.

Live Linux Cd see some files on the Ntfs volumes, but complete subfolders are missing. The subfolder names still exist in the parent folders.

The first time, I let Xp try to boot and "recover" the Ntfs errors, which was a mistake from me, since thereafter even Linux saw even fewer files. This time I avoided any "recovery" by Win.

So:

What software do you recommend to recover the files? Preferably running on W2k or Xp, easy to use.

Thank you!

DMDE:

http://dmde.com/

though it is not an "automagic" tool, if you have the time and will to learn how to use it (the use is actually very easy but you need a somewhat "advanced" knowledge of NTFS structures) is an excellent tool.

Consider how your "repair through XP attempt" possibly deleted the indexes to those folders (and/or files within them) beyond recovery so you might need to also use file based recovery tools (such as Photorec).

jaclaz

The first step in the recovery process is to clone those partitions, saving the data as raw image files. Then make copies of those image files and perform the data recovery on the copies. That way, if you mess up you won't cause further damage, and you can try different data recovery techniques (if desired) by starting over with a fresh copy of the file system.

Phil