Do some websites out-right block connections from IE6 browser?

Nomen

> a never ending white loading screen when trying to access part of the in-game online store

You might be able to disable access to the troublesome URL with an appropriately-crafted line in your HOSTS file.

A more complex solution would be to get a web-server up and running on the computer just to serve up previously downloaded files from the original site server, and modify those files as necessary. Hosts file entries would allow internal re-direction to the local web server.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm baffled: I never had any such issues, nor heard about 'em...

My UserAgent, while on IE8 is currently: "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; Trident/4.0)"

Apparently it doesn't show up under XP x86 because SP3 adds SHA-256 capability. Since there was no SP3 for XP x64, then it must be manually added by HotFix. Thanks to sdfox7 in this thread I was able to Google-fu a solution. Google is now working on IE8 under XP x64, and my game that depends on it is no longer choking out on the white loading screen. :)

It may be very interesting to play around with the files from the two HotFixes I listed there that cured the problem. They are available in x86 versions as well, and I don't know whether or not older versions of Internet Explorer may be able to benefit from them as well... Possibilities, anyone? :unsure:

> a never ending white loading screen when trying to access part of the in-game online store

You might be able to disable access to the troublesome URL with an appropriately-crafted line in your HOSTS file.

A more complex solution would be to get a web-server up and running on the computer just to serve up previously downloaded files from the original site server, and modify those files as necessary. Hosts file entries would allow internal re-direction to the local web server.

A very interesting idea if one only had the time to devote to experimentation with it. Reminds me of when I considered setting up a web server for the sole purpose of running SquirrelMail to access my Yahoo Mail to avoid the new forced interface. It seemed possible but I never had the time to get around to it. :}

Edited by LoneCrusader