Mozilla SeaMonkey 2.0.14 (Win98) + 2.31 (WinXP) with shared profile on

xrayer

Hi,

for many years I was happily using Mozilla SeaMonkey 2.0.14 - the latest one that is fully working under Win98+KeX4.5.2 also under WinXP which is my primary OS. So one browser - one profile under both OSes, no problem. But currently there are more and more websites that doesn't correclty (or even at all) with this ancient browser. I was forced to download Firefox portable and use it for such specific cases. Along time the count of such messy websites rise so I finally decided to upgrade to latest Mozilla SeaMonkey 2.31 but the profile and addons are not fully compatible. After some fidling and patching seamonkey.exe I finally run both versions together sharing emails, stored session except browsing history. This is because SeaMonkey 2.x.x use new DB layout for places.sqlite which now stores visited URLs and bookmarks but old version stored only visited URLs there. So I you run newer seamonkey over old profile the DB gets updated but when you run old version DB gets corrupted. I was searching for this crap for a long time last night because it was an UNICODE string I missed it first time (seamonkey.exe uses mix of both for filenames).

So if someone is interested here are some technical details:

Following files from old profiles are renamed by replacing last char. of filename by number 2

seamonkey.exe strings replacement:
prefs.js -> pref2.js
extensions.ini -> extension2.ini
places.sqlite -> place2.sqlite (UNICODE string, search for: 70 00 6C 00 61 00 63 00 65 00)
places.sqlite.corrupt -> place2.sqlite.corrupt (UNICODE string, search for: 70 00 6C 00 61 00 63 00 65 00)
then recalc image checksum in PE header

nsExtensionManager.js strings replacement:
extensions.* - > extension2.*

Older incompatible add-ons are placed locally in:
C:\Program Files\MOZILLA\Extensions\
Newer incompatible add-ons are placed locally in:
L:\Program Files\MOZILLA\Extensions\
Universal add-ons are placed in shared profile:
C:\Program Files\MOZILLA\PROFILES\User\Extensions\

BTW I had some issues with font and UI size in new Seamonkey 2.31 os I strongly reccomend to install Theme Font & Size Changer addon that allows easily to fix it.

Edited by xrayer