Windows setup doesnt go past boot screen

Exodia

Hello all,

I tried to load winxp pro onto an old p3 sony vaio today and ran into a problem, setup wouldnt continue past the boot screen.

Everything goes smooth, file copy and all, right up until first reboot. The computer restarts and up pops the boot screen but thats where it stays, no windows setup gui. It doesnt appear to freeze because the bars keeps scrolling... and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling. I left it for over an hour but it never got past the boot screen.

I tried using 3 different cds, my unattended, my sp1 integrated and my original but all gave the same results.

Ive set up winxp hundreds of times and have never seen this happen before, im totally baffled. :)

Anyone ever run into this problem before?

Never happened to me before...

Try booting into safe mode by pushing the F8 key when your computer is turned on over and over again. If it doesn't boot, something is corrupt or something is not working properly. If it does boot, then come back and ask your question again.

I think there's something corrupt, because this happened to me on a Windows 2000 system! :)

Nope, tried that already, the keys do not respond. I had to hold the power button in for 5 secs in order to restart it... maybe youre right, something is corrupt. I dont know how though, ive used these same CDs many times before.

Im gonna give win2k a try and report back.

Tried to upgrade win2k to xp, it all went smooth right up until xp booted up, again it just hung. Im beginning to think that this machine will not run xp for some reason. Im feeling tired and lazy so im not gonna try anymore, i'll reload win2k and just stick with it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tried to upgrade win2k to xp, it all went smooth right up until xp booted up, again it just hung. Im beginning to think that this machine will not run xp for some reason. Im feeling tired and lazy so im not gonna try anymore, i'll reload win2k and just stick with it.

Thanks for the suggestions.