Actual Windows WEI Score Is Still Available in Win 8.1

NoelC

See BurrWalnut's post in this thread for where I found the info:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3b700ea8-1385-4599-9183-04614f6d6629/windows-experience-index-in-windows-10

The above, broken up into a step-by-step...

• Run perfmon
  • Expand Data Collector Sets > System
  • Right-click System Diagnostics, click Start and note the Status
  • When it has stopped Running, go down to Reports in the left pane
  • In Reports, expand System > System Diagnostics and click on the line that starts with the name of your computer.
  • Scroll down in the main pane and expand the Hardware Configuration drop down 
  • Expand the Desktop Rating drop down 
  • Expand the [+] sign below Query
  • Expand the [+] sign below Returned Objects to display your WEI score.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

• 4 weeks later...

I know a lot of folks look to disable the counters to maximize system performance...

Some time ago in developing Windows applications we instrumented our software quite heavily with performance monitoring and general logging.  We created a special Beta configuration for building that would enable it, along with maximum optimization, while Release cut it all out.

I found that lo and behold the macro performance of the fully instrumented build was virtually indistinguishable from that of the Release build.  It was then I realized modern processors are so blasted fast that a few hundred thousand extra things to do doesn't even register as a blip on the radar.  It's only when we turn things up so it logs hundreds of megabytes of messages that it becomes noticeable.

-Noel

It was that plus the privacy. Things like steps recorder creep me out.

Anyway I culdn't find it, but I did get it working using by restarting WinSAT and re-running the test.

winsat formal -restartpowershell /c Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_WinSAT

That way also gives a good look at the progress with about 3 pages of output. I'm all around 8.5 on a recent OC'ed Haswell re-build. Hardly accurate since I notice the speedup in daily use and it was something like 7.8-8 before, on Bloomfield, some 8 years old. I remember when a 2-gen upgrade would yield scores 3-4 points higher, so perhaps part of the reason it was removed was because it skews low.

Edit: Re-running through perfmon after this shows the scores

Edited by aphelion