Desperate need of home networking help

I have 2 PC and 1 Notebook each with 10/100NIC (autosensing),

at home, that I want to share internet connection and files share.

I am running Windows XP SP1 on all. Pro on 2 PCs and Home on the Notebook.

I have Cable internet coming into a Toshiba's DOCSIS 2.0 certified PCX2600 Cable Modem to a Link-Max DSL/Cable Router 4 Port W/ Printer Server to a NetGear FS605NA5 port switch with WAN. The 2 PC and 1 Notebook are connected to the switch.

Before I went away for a few months everything was working fine. All three PC’s could file share and get online. Now it does not work. I’ve tried every configuration I know of but can’t seem to get anywhere. I’ve moved just about every cable everywhere else with no luck.

I can only plug one PC directly into the cable modem to access the internet. Last night I was able to access the internet on one of the PC’s buy way of the switch (modem->router->switch). When I booted up this morning it was not working.

I still want to be able to use the print server too.

Anyone know why I can’t get everything communicating in this order modem->router->switch->3 PCs?

I have TCPIP 6, File and Print Sharing and Client for MS networks all installed with default settings.

I have tried that that. The connection still will not work. It is only reliable with one PC connected directly to the modem.

I really believe there are network settings I am missing somewhere.

I tried all the WIN XP netword setup, settings, with no luck.

Are you able to communicate with your other machines via the router?

If not, it may be the router itself that's causing the problem in which case you'll probably need to reset the router.