Submitting files to VirusTotal using win-98 and any browser

Nomen

I have a couple of win-98 computers that are in 2 different locations but for some reason I can bring up the virustotal site and submit a file (and get results) on one computer but not the other.

For the one that works, I can use FF 2.0.0.20 and I have to have the full path of the file in my clipboard, and I click in the file-submission box on the VT site and hit shift-insert, then hit enter twice. VT goes into download mode, then brings up the screen showing scan progress.

On the computer where this doesn't work, I do exactly the same steps, but the VT page stays in download mode, never progressing to the screen showing scan results. I've tried Netscape 9 and Opera 12 but get same results. I've disabled the hosts file and it doesn't change anything.

For Opera 12, when clicking in the "Choose File" text-entry box, it immediately brings up file explorer, but with FF2 or Netscape 9 this doesn't happen (this behavior is the same on both computers).

There is a utility that provides scanning a file from a right-click context menu:

https://www.virustotal.com/static/bin/vtuploader2.2.exe

It does install and run under win-98 on both computers (both have kex, if it matters). On the first computer, submitting any file always seems to start fine but stops early in the upload and just stalls in the same place according to the progress bars. On the second computer, the upload progresses smoothly to 100% and then spawns a browser window showing the scan results.

So the problem seems to be an incomplete or stalling upload of the file being submitted on the computer with this problem. Does anyone else see this when submitting files to VT using win-98 and any browser?

I uploaded a file using SeaMonkey 1.1.19 and had no problem. Result said my file is probably safe to use... 0 out of 55 scanners found anything. Said my file is safe to use. For what it's worth I used Windows ME.

Edited by LostInSpace2012

Internet connection speed may be lower on the faulty computer and it always times out before finishing the upload

(go to a connection speed measuring site with both computers and compare the results)

or

TCP/IP connection values may have been optimized on the good computer but not on the other

(use TZ Connection Booster and/or TCP Optimizer and/or other similar software to improve connection parameters)

or

Network-related system files may differ in version and operating parameters from one computer to the other

(this depends on connection type - dial-up, broadband etc. - and (un)official updates installed to the systems)

or

There is a firewall or otherwise network/Internet-active application that cuts connection on a timer

(check background services and applications, close anything not vital for the current session)

or

Someone else knows other valid reasons.