corrupt driver in my .wim

goodidea

Greetings!

I have a problem I am unsure how to resolve.  I have created an unattended Windows 7 installation.  I install Windows 7 it over the network by running the unattended setup with various batch files.  I've had to update the .wim files in the source directory by adding various drivers using DISM.  I have run into a problem with the 64-bit Windows 7 Professional wim.  Once it starts the initial start up, after expanding and installing the Windows source files - it crashes with a BSOD.  This makes the OS unusable because you are unable to access a desktop or command line before it crashes.

I am hoping to find a way to identify and remove the driver that is causing this problem, but I am unsure where to start.  I can use DISM to list the drivers, but I am unsure which to remove or replace.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm you used the /all switch huh. Do you get different results without it? When using /all you see the MS ones, which aren't likely to be the problem. Your DISM output shows no third-party drivers, which have a published name starting with oem.

Also, bugcheck 0x7E on first boot after deployment can be caused by having REV_05 and a lower REV (3 or 4) drivers for Intel USB 3.0 controllers in the same image. Reference (if applicable to you)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/9af3ae94-bcc9-4d26-a31b-67e49df2f401/bsod-on-first-boot-after-deployment-no-minidump?forum=w7itproinstall

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/bf5d402d-edd0-4556-ab69-7f831b98ae3c/server-2008-r2-wds-intel-series-8-usb-issue?forum=winserversetup

Ok.  I have added the results without the /all switch.  It has two printer drivers.

Most of the drivers, were from working systems.  I would use Driver Magician Portable to grab the drivers from a fresh install.  Apparently, most were approved by Microsoft - possibly not considered 3rd party.

Any idea on how to pull the USB drivers off the wim?  I'm not sure how to locate the drivers that need to be removed.  I am interested how to go about finding the proper method to troubleshoot issues like these.

Thank you in advance.

The results you post have the appearance of being from a stock WIM and not a modified one. You didn't inject those printer drivers either. Verify you are checking against the correct image and (if relevant) index.

Also check for the setupact.log in C:\windows\panther of the PC that can't boot.

Correct.  How embarrassing!  Wrong index number.

I was able to get the proper version of the files uploaded to the same location along with some of the log files from the panther folder.

Thanks again!

Ok some of these you'll have to inspect yourself. I see you had taken drivers from another OS, so their original filenames are not preserved.

Published Name : oem103.infOriginal File Name : oem117.infInbox : NoClass Name : USBProvider Name : Intel(R) CorporationDate : 2/27/2012Version : 1.0.4.220 Published Name : oem141.infOriginal File Name : oem136.infInbox : NoClass Name : USBProvider Name : Intel(R) CorporationDate : 3/26/2013Version : 2.0.0.102 Published Name : oem142.infOriginal File Name : oem135.infInbox : NoClass Name : USBProvider Name : Intel(R) CorporationDate : 3/26/2013Version : 2.0.0.102 Published Name : oem148.infOriginal File Name : oem138.infInbox : NoClass Name : USBProvider Name : Intel(R) CorporationDate : 8/8/2013Version : 2.5.1.28 Published Name : oem149.infOriginal File Name : oem137.infInbox : NoClass Name : USBProvider Name : Intel(R) CorporationDate : 8/8/2013Version : 2.5.1.28 Published Name : oem166.infOriginal File Name : oem61.infInbox : NoClass Name : USBProvider Name : Intel(R) CorporationDate : 10/16/2012Version : 1.0.6.245 Published Name : oem173.infOriginal File Name : oem72.infInbox : NoClass Name : USBProvider Name : Intel(R) CorporationDate : 2/22/2013Version : 1.0.8.251Published Name : oem174.infOriginal File Name : oem71.infInbox : NoClass Name : USBProvider Name : Intel(R) CorporationDate : 2/22/2013Version : 1.0.8.251 Published Name : oem81.infOriginal File Name : oem38.infInbox : NoClass Name : USBProvider Name : IntelDate : 8/26/2011Version : 9.3.0.1011 Published Name : oem87.infOriginal File Name : oem62.infInbox : NoClass Name : USBProvider Name : Intel(R) CorporationDate : 5/21/2012Version : 1.0.5.235Published Name : oem88.infOriginal File Name : oem61.infInbox : NoClass Name : USBProvider Name : Intel(R) CorporationDate : 5/21/2012Version : 1.0.5.235

If I were to guess, I'd say look at the published names oem148 and 149 with version 2.5.1.28. I don't keep old driver versions around, but the offending version I have is 2.5.0.19. You'll need to search the drivers folder by mounting the image. Search for containing text. The USB driver issue is with these hardware IDs:

VEN_8086&DEV_8C31

VEN_8086&DEV_9C31

The older drivers will have a REV_00 to REV_04 in the HwID list. The new drivers will have those plus a REV_05. Remove any drivers with the REV_05. Original filename is iusb3xhc.inf

Now, I'd like to point out that it isn't confirmed that your problem is the USB driver issue. You might have it set up like this, and resolving it may not solve your error.

Just to be clear, I should do the following:

Mount the image and search for the HW IDs in the Windows folder:

VEN_8086&DEV_8C31

VEN_8086&DEV_9C31

I should find the oem*.inf which has the REV_05 entry.  

In this case, the .inf files are: 

oem138.inf (Published name oem148.inf) 

oem136.inf (Published name oem141.inf)

Remove the entry from the inf? Or, remove the driver using DISM?

I wasn't sure about the final step.

How do you determine which of the drivers is in conflict with each other?  Is that information derived from the setupact.log alone?

Thanks!

Well those two oem names I posted were a guess. You'll have to determine it for yourself. If you find any INF with the REV_05, remove it from the image with DISM. And as I said before, it is a known issue that the USB drivers I am talking about will cause this BSOD, but I am not saying it is what is causing your BSOD.

I didn't find anything in the setupact.log. The log is incomplete, as evidenced that the bugcheck occurred and it didn't seem to write anything to a log about it.

I was able to remove the following drivers:

oem141.inf

oem148.inf

oem149.inf

I searched the mounted directory and could no longer find the REV_05 entry for the HW IDs you specified.  Unfortunately, there has been no change and the system still boots with a BSOD ( which appears to be the same ).  I have updated the new BSOD screen to the shared location. Please let me know if you need further information.

I was hoping you were right, the systems I am having problems with appear to have USB 3.0 ports exclusively.

I appreciate all your help.

Ok I went back to read the first post. You refer to your problem with "the" Windows 7 Pro x64 image. The incompatibility I outlined will exist in other Windows 7 x64 images as well. Is this not the case or did you not add the same drivers to all your images?

Did you disable driver signing?

Do you keep track of what drivers you are adding for what reason or did you just add a bunch all at once? I qualify a new system and verify it works once at a time. When I ran into this USB problem, I was able to determine the cause because I knew what drivers I had added in between the working and non-working deployments. I also keep backups of images in case such a thing happens, so I can roll back to a working set while troubleshooting the issue. If a worst case scenario occurs, I would be left with having to rebuild the image from scratch OR creating a new version for affected devices. I've had to do that once already during the Windows 7 SP1 lifecycle and it wasn't fun.

Intel USB3 drivers have 2 or 3 INFs. Removing the iusb3xhc ones should be enough, however they also have a hub INF called iusb3hub. If you want to eliminate all USB related drivers, create a copy of the problem image, then using the DISM /GET-DRIVERS output (not the /ALL switch) remove all drivers shown as being from Intel and USB type. Redeploy the test image and see what happens.

Ok I went back to read the first post. You refer to your problem with "the" Windows 7 Pro x64 image. The incompatibility I outlined will exist in other Windows 7 x64 images as well. Is this not the case or did you not add the same drivers to all your images?

>I have only added drivers to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and 32-bit

Did you disable driver signing?

> I am unsure.  If you mean using DISM to install drivers with /forceunsigned - Yes.  Otherwise, I do no believe so.

Do you keep track of what drivers you are adding for what reason or did you just add a bunch all at once? I qualify a new system and verify it works once at a time. When I ran into this USB problem, I was able to determine the cause because I knew what drivers I had added in between the working and non-working deployments. I also keep backups of images in case such a thing happens, so I can roll back to a working set while troubleshooting the issue. If a worst case scenario occurs, I would be left with having to rebuild the image from scratch OR creating a new version for affected devices. I've had to do that once already during the Windows 7 SP1 lifecycle and it wasn't fun.

>I added small groups over time and we have a variety of hardware types.  While I have some backup of the image; I am at a loss as to where the bad drivers may have been added.  Not having fun is what I am try to avoid, sir.

Intel USB3 drivers have 2 or 3 INFs. Removing the iusb3xhc ones should be enough, however they also have a hub INF called iusb3hub. If you want to eliminate all USB related drivers, create a copy of the problem image, then using the DISM /GET-DRIVERS output (not the /ALL switch) remove all drivers shown as being from Intel and USB type. Redeploy the test image and see what happens.

>I will give that a try and have uploaded a new copy to the shared location.  It appears there are 35 occurrences.  Please let me know if anything shouts at you.

Thanks again for all your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Tripredicus,

Thank you for all your help.  I chanced it and just removed all the Intel/USB drivers you listed.  I was able to get the image to work on the hardware.  I still need to test the image on my older hardware - but at least I am rolling with my current systems ( specifically Dell Optiplex 7010).

I am still interested in learning more about troubleshooting .wim issues.  If you know any good links - I'd appreciate them greatly.

Again.  Thank you.