Why can't programs save to some files they open?

bizzybody

I installed Win 7 x64 on a computer that had XP Pro 32 bit, didn't do a complete wipe, just moved files to be saved out of My Documents and other such locations then deleted Windows, Documents and Settings, Program Files and every file in the root directory.

No trace of the old Windows or installed programs left behind.

With Windows 7 I'm having a problem with some of the old files, especially text files, and some of the old folders where a program (such as Notepad) can open the file but gets permission denied when attempting to save back to the file it just opened.

With folders I sometimes get a permission denied when trying to save files to them, hard drives in the PC or even on some USB drives used with XP.

The login account has Administrator rights. I've also reset permissions on everything but it still does the same permission denied thing.

With XP I never set any passwords or encryption on any files or folders, nor did I use compression.

What do I have to do to get full access to my files and folders, especially ones that have never ever been in any location (such as My documents) that Windows provides any special security to - whether or not the user wants it.

It's simply ridiculous to plug in a USB drive with an old text file on it, open it with notepad then have to save the file with a different name or even in a completely different location, then have to copy/rename it over the original, a feat for which I have to click a "Yes I really really want to do that." button to shove aside Windows 'protection' with Administrator authority.

If I can override the security then it should happen automatically for such functions and clear off any old settings on the file or folder - unless the file is something critical that should not be modified except under specific circumstances. A many years old text file with a few recipes I saved does not qualify for that kind of protection.

I would much prefer to have NO specific ownership or security set on any file that does not absolutely need it. I have many computers which I often move stuff among and this fight over who owns files get quite annoying - especially when it interferes with proper function of programs, like being unable to overwrite files they just opened.

You say you "moved" the files, this is the problem. Moved files keep original rights, copied files get new rights from the folder they are copied into.

I've also reset permissions on everything but it still does the same permission denied thing.

I don't know what exactly you've done there but you now need to "take ownership" of the fies that were previously protected for "any other user" only. I guess the USB drive is NTFS formated.

I installed 7 on what was my D: drive, XP was on what is now my D: drive. I get this problem with files that were created or saved on both drives with XP.

It's a silly thing for Vista and 7 (and I bet 8 does it too) to not block a file from being opened, but to block the file from being written to by the program which opened it - but with the click of a button that same file can be overwritten by copying or moving a file with the same name into the folder.

"Protection" that easy to override isn't protection at all, so why have it? It's like a bank teller not letting you walk in and get money out of your account while the vault has a back door with a sign that says "No Admittance" but there's a button below the sign that says "Lock is broken, Press Button to Access Vault".

Which trick or hack for Win 7 is supposed to take ownership of everything on a drive?

There's a Registry file I tried with XP to add take ownership to the right click menu but that only worked some of the time when doing clean installs then saving files off the old drive. If that didn't work I'd boot with a live Linux CD and copy the files. Linux ignores Windows' security settings as long as the files aren't encrypted. Password? Who needs a password? Boot up with Linux and you've blown the back wall off the vault. ;-)

Tried this take ownership Registry patch. It doesn't work. I get a command prompt with everything scrolling past, claiming success at taking ownership but it's not actually doing it, or at least not getting truly full and unrestricted rights.

In any old folder that was created by XP, when I right click and go to New, the only option available is New Folder. If I make a new folder then go into it, the full New menu is available.

Got a "nuclear option" that will actually work and change the rights on all the files and folders to be as if they were created with an acount with Administrator rights on the current Win 7 install?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00; Created by: Shawn Brink; http://www.sevenforums.com; Tutorial: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas][HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]@="Take Ownership""HasLUAShield"="""NoWorkingDirectory"=""[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /a && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /c /l && pause""IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /a && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /c /l && pause"[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas][HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]@="Take Ownership""HasLUAShield"="""NoWorkingDirectory"=""[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /a /r /d y && pause && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t /l /c /q && pause""IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /a /r /d y && pause && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t /l /c /q && pause"[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\runas][HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\runas]@="Take Ownership""HasLUAShield"="""NoWorkingDirectory"=""[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\runas\command]@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /a && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /c /l && pause""IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /a && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /c /l && pause"[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\runas][HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\runas]@="Take Ownership""HasLUAShield"="""NoWorkingDirectory"=""[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\runas\command]@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /a /r /d y && pause && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t /l /c /q && pause""IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /a /r /d y && pause && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t /l /c /q && pause"

We were not talking about reg tweak. Check this;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff404240.aspx

Doesn't work. Tried applying to the entire D: drive and to single folders. Still restricted to only being able to create new folders in most old folders and unable to save files into them - but can copy/move files into those folders after clicking the button to make it do it anyway.

can copy/move files into those folders after clicking the button to make it do it anyway.

I have difficulties understanding the meaning of this sentence. Point 4 in the provided link should have solved your problem.

You could try this is disk space is not a problem;

if problem directory is D:\X\ , rename (if you can, as you said you did take ownership) to D:\_X\

Create new directory D:\X\ ,

Copy (not move) everything from D:\_X\ to D:\X\.

Check if problem is solved on new files. Delete old files if it is.