Mobo News?

Treeman

:) Just sitting around and waiting . . . I want to upgrade, but I want to have it all!

Anyone hear any rumors about who/when mobo manufacturers will be selling the new stuff.

I'm so tempted just to buy a 800fsb. mobo with the Northwood chipset because prices are low.

I know as soon as I do that, the new stuff will come out the next week.

(PCI Express, DDR2)

I know Prescott sucks right now, but the new mobo will have the new cpu socket as well.

What to do, What to Do!

Treeman

well, to be honest, i wouldnt buy the PCI express/ddr2 anyways.. think about, everything will be superseeded for the time, but that means cheaper parts for the others.. it will take a year or two or even more before it will be fully in the market, meaning, no more AGP etc.. so i'd suggest buying now at its cheapest.. :)

There is a great article on "The Tyranny Of Choice" in the current edition (April 2004) of Scientific American. Unfortunately you can't read the whole article online without being a subscriber, but here is the basic lessons to be learned from it (and this is what I've been telling people for years regarding buying computers)

Choose when to choose

We can decide to restrict our options when the decision is not crucial.

Learn to accept "good enough"

Settle for a choice that meets your core needs rather than searching for the elusive "best". Then stop thinking about it.

Don't worry about what you're missing.

Consciously limit how much you ponder the seemingly attractive features of options you reject. Teach yourself to focus on the positive parts of the selection you make.

Control expectations.

"Don't expect too much, and you won't be disappointed" is a cliché. But that advice is sensible if you want to be more satisfied with life.

What I always advise is to buy one step back from the "bleeding edge" of computing, you will get a product that has had the initial bugs ironed out, the price will be much better and ultimately you will be happier with it.

A year or so later you can upgrade to a faster chip and more memory and still have a great system on the cheap.

If you really wanted the best desktop right now, you would have already bought a G5 anyway, right? :)

[if you really wanted the best desktop right now, you would have already bought a G5 anyway, right?]

Naw, I'm just hung up on the Mac's firewire stuff! :)

Piece by piece I'll be getting there. "A PCTosh"

Little things like Dual Raptor 10,000rpm, Sata / Raid / Striped 1/0 drives.

A single Sata drive to 1394b bridgeboard, to Firewire 800. (for real-time DV rendering & backup.)

1mb ecc ddr extreme 400mhz. ram.

All that's left is the mobo & cpu.

The P4 3.4ghz, and 800mhz. FSB should do in a pinch I guess.

Or maybe I'll wait a little bit longer . . . . . . .

Treeman

• 1 month later...