Win7 Deployment methods

Thanks a lot !

I don't need all of them but the most used .

Ehm... Could you tell me why do we use a DHCP server in PXE Lite touch deployment (with a server 2k12) ?

And could you tell me what is happenning during the installation (steps like pxe boot , dhcp requests , tftp requests,...)

If you can answer it , thanks a lot !!

Edited by Bobbymat26

I don't use Lite Touch with WDS but I do use WDS... at least just for PXE booting. The reason for DHCP is that the client needs an IP address. In a default (single server setup) the DHCP server also knows the location of the PXE server.

So when you set a client to boot to the network it sends out a request to get an IP address. The DHCP server responds with an IP address and some other stuff like gateway and what the PXE server's IP is. If WDS is on the same server as the DHCP role, they work together so it sends the address automatically. If the WDS is on a different server, you configure the DHCP server with an option and enter the IP of the WDS. So then the client will send its capabilities to the WDS. The WDS looks at the capabilities and responds with the appropriate boot file.