2003 Server and preinstall of Storage Server

robr

I'm using the Windows 2003 Server OPK CD to install Windows to target machines. I've run the setup manager to generate WINBOM files and wrote it to floppy. I boot off the OPK CD and the WINBOM is read off the floppy and everything works great.

Now, I need to incorporate a preinstall of Microsoft Storage Server. I have the OPK for this, but it's unclear to me how to get this to install during the GUI setup phase of Windows 2003 automatically. I copied the CD to my OPKTOOLS directory here:

Directory of C:\OPKTools\cfgsets\storage server msi test\$OEM$\$1\stage

The root of the CD would be the "stage" directory. Now I'm just trying to get the .MSI file to run during unattended setup. (I'll deal with an unattended textbased install of this after I know I can at least get it running).

The files copy fine over to the target PC during textmode install, but the MSI errors with the following error (from WINBOM.LOG)

Found Preinstall Section 'AppPreMSI01.Stage' for application 'Storage Server'

Initiating MSI Attach of the 'Storage Server' application.

ERROR: MSI failed with exit code:[1601] while attempting to attach the 'Storage Server' application.

ERROR: Failed to Stage the 'Storage Server' application.

My WINBOM.INI file contains this:

[AppPreMSI01.Attach]

InstallType=Attach

StagePath=c:\stage

SetupFile=SaSetup30.msi

CmdLine=

[AppPreMSI01.Detach]

InstallType=Detach

[AppPreMSI01.Stage]

InstallType=Stage

SourcePath=D:

SetupFile=SaSetup30.msi

[OemRunOnce]

"Storage Server",AppPreMSI01.Stage,MSI

Help PLEASE!!!! :)

Incidentally an error 1601 means this:

ERROR_INSTALL_SERVICE_

FAILURE 1601 The Windows Installer service could not be

accessed. Contact your support personnel

to verify that the Windows Installer

service is properly registered.

Doesn't help me :)

Thanks, I did post there and got a somewhat helpful response... it pointed me in the right direction anyway :). Though the MS individual that responded asked me not to post about that product because it's apparently not generally available to OEMs and asked me in the future to go through my Microsoft rep. Not a particularly useful solution since that rarely results in getting anything done in a timely fashion, but hopefully I'll make it over this hurdle and move on to something else to get messed up on :rolleyes:.

.... not to post about that product because it's apparently not generally available to OEMs ...

wow then u're special :)

if u don't mind me asking what makes u special over the other 2003 server ppl

is there 1000s of pc's over there or something?

(not trying to be rude or anything, just wondering where and how u got it

not that i'm going to get or anything (it wouldn't be much use for me anyways 2003 server?))

im not trying to appear special, i could care less about who has what. im just upset that an avenue of support for such a niche product with poor preinstall documentation was closed down to me by someone at microsoft. im working for a vendor that sells big storage arrays, so i guess the product was made available to companies in that line of business.