NT6.1 shares, Windows 98 and Network Neighborhood.

andreainside

Hello everyone,

while my account is not that new, this is very likely my first actual post in this forum, so please excuse me if I get something wrong. :)

Now, as the title states, I'm having a bit of a trouble in accessing shares hosted on machines running both Windows 7 and 2008R2.

After quite a lot of googling and "playing" with LMcompatibility, LMcompatibilitylevel and the domain group policy, I've managed to get the 98 machine (98se updated with IE6 and the latest unofficial SP3, dsclient is installed but not set to authenticate against anything, just set the machine to be part of a workgroup named the same as the domain) to fully talk with Vista and older computers, by "fully" I mean that i can access shares both from Network Neighborhood and from typing \\hostname\share in the address bar. Unfortunately on NT6.1 I only managed to get the address bar part working, as while the remote computer does indeed show up in N.N., double-clicking it greets me with a "\\HOSTNAME is not accessible. This request is not supported by the network." error popup.

So here I am, asking the 9x gurus on here for some help.

PS: English is not my first language, so excuse any errors and weird sentence structure.

I came across that thread in my searches. Netbios is enabled on the W7 machines, the user/password combos are correct (otherwise I wouldn't even be able to browse shares by knowing their name), but I noticed several people stating that they can't use Network Neighborhood aswell.

It's not a big deal, I got the "important" part working, and this N.N. issue is more esthetic than anything else, especially given that a good 90% of the time i access the shares by either typing their full name or by mapping them to a drive letter.

Anything useful here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299656 ?

===========

It is best to prevent storage of the LM hash if you do not need it for backward compatibility. If your network contains Windows 95, Windows 98, or Macintosh clients, you may experience the following problems if you prevent the storage of LM hashes for your domain:

* Users without an LM hash will not be able to connect to a Windows 95-based computer or a Windows 98-based computer that is acting as a server unless the Directory Services Client for Windows 95 and Windows 98 is installed on the server.
* Users on Windows 95-based computers or Windows 98-based computers will not be able to authenticate to servers by using their domain account unless they have the Directory Services Client installed on their computers.
* Users on Windows 95-based computers or Windows 98-based computers will not be able to authenticate by using a local account on a server if the server has disabled LM hashes unless they have the Directory Services Client installed on their computers.
* Users may not be able to change their domain passwords from a Windows 95-based computer or a Windows 98-based computer, or they may experience account lockout issues when they try to change their passwords from these earlier clients.
* Users of Macintosh Outlook 2001 clients may not be able to access their mailboxes on Microsoft Exchange servers. Users may see the following error in Outlook:
--The logon credentials supplied were incorrect. Make sure your username and domain are correct, then type your password again.

===============

See also: http://www.imss.caltech.edu/node/414

================

Installing DSCLIENT for Windows 9x

In order for a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer to access the IMSS Active Directory, it is necessary to install the Active Directory Client Extension for Windows 9x software (also known as the DSClient), and make a change to the Registry to enable NTLMv2.

This webpage provides simple step-by-step instructions that detail how to install the client and make the necessary registry changes.

=================

Edited by Nomen

@Nomen - Isn't that what the link I gave talked about (and also mentioned DSCLIENT/Reg Edits)? TWO "methods" were given, one of which Drugwash fully explained (but no Network Neighborhood), and one I fully explained (which seemed to *completely* work for me). I *might* have uninstalled IPV6 additionally.

Since this subject has been resurrected, at first opportunity, I'll completely reload a couple of PC's (one w/Win98SE, one w/Win7) and go through the *two* scenarios again as "proof of concept" and revisit that topic with my findings.

In the meanwhile, the OP has access by (apparently) Drugwash' method.

submix8c wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Since this subject has been resurrected, at first opportunity, I'll completely reload a couple of PC's (one w/Win98SE, one w/Win7) and go through the *two* scenarios again as "proof of concept" and revisit that topic with my findings.

In the meanwhile, the OP has access by (apparently) Drugwash' method.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you.

Also, while various online guides say to set LMCompatibility on the 9x+DSCLIENT machine to 3 and LMCompatibility level to 2 on the 7 computer, I've only had success with "1" as the LMCompatibility (on 9x) value.

Edited by andreainside