[solved] can't install XP, nor boot BartPE

Dogway

Hello. I'm trying to install XP on a fresh machine, it's an unattended that is severely tested but after installing/copying all XP files to SSD and just before first logon it halts on the black screen where it asks me to start in safe mode, or other modes, whatever I choose it takes me to the same screen over and over.

To check things out, I tested then with the BartPE disc, and got a BSOD with code [0x0000007b 0xF78D2528 0xC0000034], reading a bit it led me here. I'm using a Haswell CPU with Intel 8 Series/C220 Chipset. I'm not sure whether that is related or problems are due to AHCI drivers. I integrated the drivers using nlite and the Fernando's mod called "Universal 32bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando". I tried again, with only one stick of 4Gb of RAM, and still the same. To be fully sure, I inspected the XP ISO, and expanded the file "IAAHCI.IN_" and it's the exact same one to the integrated Fernando's mod. I was a bit unsure cause I might had slipstreamed the drivers over an image with already integrated drivers, this didn't cause me problems in the past, but could had well been though.

edit: Another possible reason is that I might have Secure Boot enabled, I tried disabling it but the option is greyed out, it says "Secure Boot state - Enabled". Anyway below it there is an option called "OS type", where you can set to "Windows UEFI" or "Other OS", I set "Other OS". I also have CSM enabled and fast boot disabled... I read that I can acces Secure Boot if I give the BIOS an admin password, but didn't work either. I might contact Asus instead.

Edited by Dogway

Windows XP does not support SecureBoot. If you are using 32bit XP sources (like BartPE) then you should disable all UEFI boot options and only use the Legacy one in the CSM. For XP with an SSD, you need to make sure the SATA type is set to AHCI.

I would not recommend trying to install XP from the SSD, why not use an install disc?

If you are unable to disable SecureBoot, maybe you can post what board you are using.

I'm using Asus Gryphon Z87 C2

I have tried to set every thing I spotted and beyond to legacy but I run out of ideas. At this single moment and out of desperation I reintegrated AHCI drivers (just in case I did something wrong before), and after another test with XP, I will try a Win7 install test, to narrow things out. If that fails, and no body gives me any idea, I will try with an untouched XP image, slipstream the AHCI driver again and test. I say because I think I have done everything I could on the BIOS side, except for the secure boot which is greyed out.

-CSM enabled
-Fast Boot Disabled
-only one RAM stick under default XMP profile #1
-SATA on AHCI (that was a no brainer, although it was a little hard to find but it was the default anyways)
-Secure Boot Enabled (is greyed out) set to Other OS (against Windows UEFI)

I tried googling for it and didn't find anything, but do you think secureboot could come hard pressed from factory? Maybe I need a BIOS format of some kind? If this is so it's crazy s*** from Microsoft.

PD: I'm installing from disc, I meant (at the stage of) after copying and installing XP files. Actually it finishes the install, T13, T10, T8... it reboots but then it gets stuck.

Edited by Dogway

Ok, a small update, my XP install failed again, my Win7 install test succeded. So no hardware issues whatsoever, this leads me to point at secure boot. I doubt the problem is AHCI since I have never had problems with it during all these years.

I need to find a way to disable secure boot

is that a joke, WTF, the main reason one buys for parts is because you got the freedom to tweak settings. I thought the same, but afterwards I thought... the parameter is present... why would have they bothered? no linux then for Gryphon? no BartPE? no nothing? I already wrote to ASUS this morning, but let's see what they say.

I assume Win7 has no issues dealing with SecureBoot? I can't find info anywhere.

edit: Some insights.

Edited by Dogway

I'm searching for it but is there any list of these evil mobos? You can't sell a mobo where you can't install most of linux distros, anything before WinVista, and an array of different OS that makes up of over 50% of population and yet not warn it anywhere. These are punible practices from ASUS and microsoft standpoints.

btw, this guy managed to disable secure boot on the gryphon, so there's light, unless so much have changed from 1st and 2nd mobo revision, or BIOS versions...

Edited by Dogway

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/GRYPHON_Z87/#specifications

This quite plainly says it only supports windows 7, 8 + 8.1

No, it just says what it does support. You are reading the "only" from somewhere else.

Anyways, now reading it seems that Asus, or Asus Gryphon is not one of those companies because I keep seeing posts of people saying that they disabled secure boot. I just need to know how, I read the reset BIOS didn't work, I checked setting an admin password and didn't either, now I read that disabling CSM (which is strange, but who knows)

oh yes, only debate.

I found this page that explains the 2 settings below the "Secure Boot state - enable" one

link

ASUS UEFI has two (secure boot) settings:

• “Windows UEFI”: This setting turns Secure Boot on. This opens a sub-menu that allows “Custom” mode as described above.
  • “Other OS”: This setting turns it off and contrary to what the name suggests this is what you should set if you use or plan to use Windows in UEFI mode and don’t want Secure Boot.

It kinda means UEFI+SecureBoot or UEFI+NoSecureBoot. But UEFI has its own share of issues (GPT partitions, etc)...

By the way regarding the above "Secure Boot state - enabled" parameter -> link:

EDIT 2: Figured out the "Secure Boot State: Enabled" thing. Had to re set it to 'Windows UEFI' (enabled), clear keys, then back to 'Other OS' (disabled), and now it reports "Secure Boot State: Disabled".

It's just a display issue, what I'm really dealing against now is with UEFI vs Secure Boot here, not being able to install XP because two distinct and recent crappy anti-technology implementations.

Edited by Dogway