My USB 2.0 card does not see printer.

BradBo

HELP!!!

This must be the first time I couldnt figure my way out of a problem.

I am configuring a cpu for a relative.Its an older 300mhz AMD K-6 with 128 ram.

I am trying to install a new Epson Inkjet printer(Stylus C42UX) and because its a USB 2.0 printer I installed a Shuttle CV18 USB 2.0 card in the cpu.

The card seemed to install fine because it is listed in the control panel>system>hardware area as being there.

The problem is it doesnt see the Epson when I try to install the printer.I have used every method I can think of to get the card to see the printer.No luck!

Also I dont own any other 2.0 device to see it the card is really there or only saying it is there,what I mean if it is really active.

I have already spent one good evening at this can anyone give me some advice.

I am useing a full updated version of Windows 98.

Thanks brad Seattle

Aaron'

I have 1.1 usb ports on the mobo that seem to be working because I hooked up a digital camera and it saw the camera.

Since the hardware manager lists the usb 2.0 card and says its working doesnt that mean that the W98 I have has usb support?

Also I went to the Windows update site and downloaded all the critical updates for my W98 is there something I might be missing? How can I tell if I have the full SE W98 going?

Thanks Brad

Windows 98 has no USB support. You will need to upgrade to at least Windows 98 SE to be able to use USB devices.

Win98 has USB support. Win95 OSR1 doesn't have USB support, and Win95 OSR2 has Limited USB 1.1 support with an update patch.

Yes,my next move is to hook up the whole mess to my first line computer.

I will see if it works then.

About the printer not needing the 2.0 that is news to me.

That would solve all my problems!

I will see about getting it to work on the 1.1.

But I think the salesman told my sister(the eventual owner)that it was a 2.0 printer and that is why they sold the card with the printer.

Brad

now that doesn't make any sense to me.

u don't need 480mbit/s connection to be able to print.

windows will tell u that u just plugged a high speed device into a low speed hub. but i seriously think that u will be able to print/scan whatever your printer's capabilities are on 1.1

1.0 = 1mb/s

1.1 = 12mb/s

2.0 = 480mb/s

estimate (i don't remeber the exact values, but they something like this)

O.K.

I hooked the card and the Epson into my 1.8 Intel computer with an Asus P4S333 mobo.

It worked like a charm.

I am running XP though.

It saw the Shuttle VIA card and loaded the drivers on its own and I loaded the Epson driver.

The one thing I saw that was different is a couple things in the System>Hardware area that was not there in the older machine.

One says "USB Printer support " in the Universl Serial Bus catagory.

That is not listed in the older machine.

The old machine is a 300 mhz AMD with a Soyo mobo.

Maybe its a mobo driver problem.

Brad

Now I am really p***ed.

I reformated the hd installed XP ,updated the mobo drivers and the thing still wont see the printer no matter what I do.

It sees the 2.0 usb card but it doesnt see the printer.

Do you think its some kind of PnP setting in the bios?

Brad