help me build a new desktop

XtremeMaC

Hi there

I'm starting to hate my laptop. I should definitely get a desktop soon.

I've some things in mind but since i'm using a laptop i haven't really looked over to the desktop components.

here's some stuff i definitely want

pc3200 total 1gb ram

800mhz fsb mb.

6-8 usb 2

sata 10000 rpm hdd

some good graphics card (this one's the hardest for me)

p4 something with ht and 800mhz fbs

here's the mb list to choose from sorry for the format (i had to use word) also i back a long while ago intel chipsets sucked and sis were great how about them? i see ati in there, any good?

asus mb price grabber prices

I don't want to pay too much. I want to get the latest product but there is no need to exaggurate.. so i don't want to but p4 3.4 Xtreme Edition w 2.5mb cache.

i'm okay with anything at 800mhz fbs.

I couldn't decide on the ram. It will be 1gb at total but some ppl had said its better to get 2 sep 512 mb ram @3200 is that true or should i just get 1 1gb (Which is cheaper) will i ever feel the difference?

also i've been using kingston are the others any good?

for hdd i'm going to get either of these

Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB Hard Drive

Serial ATA-150, 10,000 RPM, 8MB

Western Digital - WD360GD

Rating:  (13 Reviews)

from $109.50  

($2.98/GB)  

(53 Sellers)  

======================================================

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB Hard Drive

Serial ATA-150, 10,000 RPM, 8MB

Western Digital - WD740GD

Rating:  (1 Reviews)

from $213.00  

($2.88/GB)  

(43 Sellers)  

========================================================

I coudln't find any other 10000 rpm sata drives on pricegrabber..

(ps I've 120gb 7200 rpm that i put all my info so i just want this hdd to install windows and install my games etc..) for the stuff that i always work. archive stuff will be on 7200 rpm

I've liteon 811s no need to buy anything else, small components like mouse/keyboard/mpad etc is okay to deal with.

those motherboards seem to have network cards so if they're good i don't want to buy another ones.

audio i'm not sure. mb's seem to be okay with them and they've 6.1 support. (i've 2.1 speakers anyways..)

monitor: I haven't decided yet will depend on the other components prices.

graphics card: now i've been using nvidia and i totally like it. but since few years/months ati seems to be doing great. how about the newly released/will be released cards from nvidia? i want to buy either 128 or 256 mb, but i don't want to pay $500. what should i get. graphics for me is a real serious issue. i want to get the right one.

I've been using asus graphics cards they're pretty good.. is it good? any better cheaper solutions? (i also used leadtek 64mb geforce 4 mx a170, it was okay)

box/case: I've no idea what i should get. I want to have front usb stuff. doesn't have to be transparent on the side with fancy stuff.. I definitely don't want a stupid door/window type of thing in front of the panel (for cdrom's and etc.)

with these information + your own opinions and suggestions what should i get.?

apart from this i'm usually on the move would it be a wise idea to get a micro tower those new ones like media center ones. do they have cooling problems, will my 128/256mb graphics card fit in there? does that mb in it support sata? etc

also if anyone wants to buy me this stuff I'd really be glad and would thank that person all my life (until he/she gets annoyed :D and I'd really appriciate it, if it was an alienware comptuter :D )

and any other advice on and hardware stuff?

Thanx!!!! :):rolleyes:

sound like your ready to spend some cash there... If you buy desktop components now I'm affraid you wont be able to upgrade anything later on.

AGP and PCI will be replaced by PCI Express. Next generation Nvidia or ATI will still be released as AGP cards as well, but its PCI Express after that.

The socket 478 is maxed out at 3.4Ghz, anything higher will be on the LGA775 socket. Those new mainboards will probably be BTX form factor, so they won't fit in the ATX case you buy right now. And then there's DDR2 around the corner...

Or should I just buy you one of these :)

http://www.go-l.com/desktops/index.htm

(I'm kidding - stop dreaming)

EDIT:

If you have to buy right now I'ld go for Northwood 3.0/3.2/3.4 HT on a Canterwood 875P mainboard, with two 512MB sticks of PC3200... Two sticks because the chipset has a dual channel memory controller. You won't feel the difference but you'll see it in benchmarks.

I see no reason to buy the newer Prescott 3.0/3.2/3.4, what speed it gains from the extra cache, it loses due to the longer pipeline.

thanks for the quick reply

I've totally forgot about pci express and ddr and 64bit cpu's etc

crap.. this always happens. when will they be out :cry:

i'm sick of this laptop.

hmm aa yea any of those mach L's would be fine..

pci express graphics cards are expected to launch in may, so the new mobos and cases should too. I'm not sure about 64bit intel, it might be limited to the xeons in the beginning...

ATI chipset has a cool feature... if you plug in an ATI video card, you can continue using the onboard video and have THREE monitors :) , anyway ati has an integrated graphics core which you won't be needing...

The sis 648FX is single channel memory and the 661FX as well but with integrated graphics. From SiS I would only go for the 655FX, which is I believe somewhere inbetween i865 and i875 performancewise. Forget the i848 all together.

EDIT: the boards that say 3DDR actually mean 3x PC2700 or 2x PC3200, the chipset can't handle three fast memory sticks apparently

EDIT: i think you need a pair of identical memory sticks for the dual channel memory thingy

well, i wouldnt be too concerned about PCI express.. its like digital tv here, its available(yay for me).. but analog will be phased out in a few years time.. so buying now isnt exactly bad, be a good time to buy.. as can you tell me what PCI express based products are around? :)