Firefox 8 where'd the buttons go?

ZortMcGort11

There's no Stop button, or a drop down box in the address bar. Another vital feature I can't find is right clicking on images to "Block Images From This Server" which is available in SeaMonkey 1.1.19 and Firefox 2.....................................................................................................................................................................

My question is, what's the last version of Firefox between 4 and 8 to have all of the above features? Since I'm on dial-up, there MUST be a stop button and an image blocking button for all the ads. It's horrible without them. My Kernelex experience is just using Firefox 3.5, K-Meleon 1.6, and Opera 11.x. Any input would be appreciated thanks.

Any Firefox beyond 3.6.28 is, IMO, garbage. I used to love Firefox, but the interface changes after the 3.x line and the idiotic "fast release" cycle have turned me off completely.

I don't know for certain what has been changed after the 5.x versions, I did test some of these at one time, but I was so disgusted with it that I scrapped the testing and decided to keep 3.6.28 to the bitter end, lol. I was able to recover most of the buttons on those versions and re-enable the Status Bar with an Addon, so you may be able to recover some of that functionality by exploring all of the settings and searching for Addons...

EDIT:

Search for these addons:

Status-4-Evar

Firefox 3 theme for Firefox 4

Old Location Bar

Edited by LoneCrusader

I'd have to agree with your sentiments about Firefox##############

There's pretty much no browser suitable for Win9x dial-up anymore. It's game over. Nothing is even half-way decent.#############

Firefox 3 is okay, but it's slower (nowhere as bad as Firefox 8) and already outdated anyway. I can't use it for online shopping, or other things withthout getting a "your browser is outdated" message. ##########

SeaMonkey 1.1.19 is the last "good" dial-up friendly browser.

As for the stop button. Try customizing your toolbar. Right-click it and select Customize from the shortcut (popup) menu. You will see the Stop button right after the Refresh button. Drag it so that it was BEFORE the Refresh button. Then click the Finish button in the dialog box (or OK - I use russian language and don't remember how this button is named in English). That's how it works in newer Firefox versions - if the Stop button goes right after the Refresh button (when customizing the toolbar), you will have a single Stop/Refresh button. If they go in some other order, you will have two separate buttons. I don't like it too.

As for dial-up in general - I think, nothing can be better than Opera for dial-up because of its Turbo traffic compression functionality and ability to easily enable/disable images, plugins, etc. I prefer Firefox on faster connections, but on dial-up it loaded pages much more slowly than Opera. I used Opera on dial-up in most cases.

I can see the use for KernelEx when you have High Speed Internet, but for dial-up there's too many issues: speed is even worse than non-KEX browsers; plus there's no printing, no stop buttons, no drop-down address bars, and other issues. Which, when taken together, create more problems then they solve. At this point, my number one criteria for any program on my computer is speed. Foremost, they have to be fast. Secondly, there can't be any "bugs" or other issues. Those two criteria pretty much excludes using KernelEx on my computer. I'm going back to using Netscape 9.6, since I feel it's the most user-friendly, ingenious browser ever created :-) And I'm uninstalling ClamWin, because it's a waste of 10 megabytes RAM. I don't know why they HAVE to make it load to the system tray on startup. So, adios Clamwin and KEX.