Serious computer build experience.

Rick

Yeah, Chris sounds like the overclocker, build it yourself man. I want to upgrade my machine bigtime. I need an ATX case, I need a new mobo, fan supply, and CPU...if I go with the new DDR, then I will need some more RAM...but why not...the darn stuff is only $36 bucks at crucial.com. I'm not going to do some fast buying on this, I'm looking at reviews and picking out the best of each (with decent price in mind)

Rick

im building a new box at the moment too, plan to have

Athlon 1.4ghz

Athlon DDR chipset

Burnproof burner

dvd, cd combo

40gb HDD

minimum 256mb DDR

geforce 2 or 3 card

turtle beach soundcard (make do with soundblaster x gamer till then)

ill be adding other things no doubt... just picking and choosing at the mo, and buying cables etc. getting a 80mm drive bay fan (only £15 ) to cool the HDD down through post at mo, and some IDE leads, ill order the case shortly

case from h*tp://eclipse-computers.com (very cheap bits, match any UK prices!)

RAM from Crucial.com

leads and fans from aria.co.uk

check out the copper heat sinks at h*tp://www.aria.co.uk !!

Chris, I will email you with details but I am basically building the same sys. as fthrjack.

1.4 gHz Athlon chip...266 FSB support

Need ATX case with probably 300W fan.

Mobo that supports DDR.

DDR 256mHz...definetely going to buy from crucial.com

I have all other components such as 30GB HD, DVD, Burner, Soundcard, modem, nic card, floppy drive, video card, new cooler master heat sink that cools up to 1.7gHz...all up to date enough for me except video but that will have to be phase 2.

I have been reading tomshardware.com's reviews in order to research the best mobo's out there...I was looking at an enlight case with 300W PS and there were bunches of good reviews but then I got down to the not so good ones that complained about getting the case with PS not working at all or it dying in 3-9 months.

Rick

how do I find out if the DDR RAM I have in my new PC is unbranded or Crucial? I asked in my specs for Crucial DDR RAM, but I get the feeling that they put in unbranded. Is there any software that will detect the brand I have? I will have to try out sisoft sandra pro 2001 to find out, but any other suggestions are welcome :)

ya but if you read on spec sheet under program it allows you to view items about that specific ram. Like I said Im not sure if it says exzactly what kind of ram you have. My suggest would be go on a ram website like crucial and enter the serial number that can be found on the ram itself....pony site will give you a run down on ram.

-Chris

If sis sandra works for sure, then I want to get that and run it on my computer as well. Do you have it Aaron? I am going to look for it now. Like I told Chris, I am trying to fix it up so I can serve FTP but for some reason, nobody is ever able to sign on to me when I have BPserver running. Tried to get on IM with Chris but I am not able to get MSN to work from my computer.

Rick

:mad:

umm pull the cover off the pc and read the crucial sticker on the RAM ?

im sure you dont want to invalidate your warranty tho and u wont do that...

Rick, you cant get MSNm to work? EH? have you got a hotmail account? are you on a network or connected to a router? have you got a firewall running? let me know, you should have MSNm working no problems... if not, its probably somthing to do with why BP-Ftp wont work too

I can't get MSN Messenger working at college either, pain in the a** proxies.

I did an IPCONFIG /ALL to find some information, entered IP numbers in the HTTP Proxy options in MSN Messener, had no luck. also Newsgroups, IRC and FTP is also blocked (f***ers)