Moving h/d from win2k3 to winxp problems

garmons

When moving a basic disk 60, 80 and 120 gig drive from my win2k3 server system to another running winXP it shows the disk as unaccessable. " x:\ is not accessible. Access is denied" If i check the properties it shows the file system to be RAW but in the stroage management it shows the correct filesystem NTFS and the right free space. And they work fine when put back into the win2k3 box. Anther strange event is the win2k3 system disk, a 20 gig with two ntfs partitions, works fine (reads/writes) in the winXP system.

Screenshot of winxp storage manager

It could be that the drive is formatted with a newer version of NTFS. I know that was an issue for me before when NTFS was upgraded.

Other than backing up all your files and reformatting (on W2K), you could try adding the 2003 NTFS.SYS driver to Windows 2000, not the easiest thing in the world to do, I know, but I'm not sure what else you could do exactly...

" x:\ is not accessible. Access is denied"

I don't have a lot of experience using different versions of NTFS on different Windows versions, but I think you might have a security problem. The partition you're trying to access may not be accessible without the proper permissions.

You might want to check this out:

"Access is Denied" Error Message

" x:\ is not accessible. Access is denied"

I don't have a lot of experience using different versions of NTFS on different Windows versions, but I think you might have a security problem. The partition you're trying to access may not be accessible without the proper permissions.

You might want to check this out:

"Access is Denied" Error Message

Yep! I had forgot when it was win2k box i had removed all but admin rights to all drives so i added everyone rights and winXP is able to use all harddrives fine now.

Thanks,

Garmons