IE6 in Windows 2003, favicons...

I have read it has been noticed before, but there is definitely a big problem with favicons on Windows 2003/IE6.

IE6 loses the favicons after a while (presumably whenever the cache is cleared), which is normal behavior... but it can never get them back even when you re-visit the corresponding web pages...

I've noticed that if you dragged the leftmost icon in the address bar and dropped it 2-3 times, the favicon would (most of the time, not quite always) come back upon the next restart of IE6. But, it would disappear again after rebooting Windows...

Besides, the default icon (the blue "e") in the Favorites menu is then sometimes a little different from the normal default icon: there is a slight black line in the middle of the "e" (under the horizontal bar of the letter). Has anybody noticed this bug?

The favicons problem has been present in IE5/6 for a couple of years on all flavours of the Windows OS. Microsoft have yet to fix it :/

Well, true, but in IE6 on Windows 2000, I didn't seem to have this problem: I mean, when the cache would be cleared, I'd lose the favicons, but they would come back once I'd visit the web pages back.

Here, they never seem to come back again. Oh well.

I know if I want permanent favicons, I can save them to a local directory and change my favorites' icons to theses.

To me, the most urgent thing to fix in IE would be a preference to allow pop-up windows blocking... like in Mozilla.