What command line parameter to install?

Shotgun

In the university where I work, there are still many Windows 95 systems in many offices. Blame it on cheap budget cuts and unwillingness to update the computers every 3-4 years. :)

Since Microsoft dropped the IE 5.5 SP2 for Windows 95 download from the site, I had to download it from Evolt Browsers Archive

I have a Win95 system I need to install IE 5.5 SP2 onto it. The problem is that when I fire ie5setup, it tries to connect to MS download locations before proceeding. Since MS dropped IE5.5 from its download sites, the setup ends abruptly with an error that it couldn't contact download sites.

The IE 5.5SP2 folder has all the files needed for the install, but since ie5setup.exe insists on checking the download locations first, it does not proceed with the installation. I can't use IE 6 since it does NOT support Windows 95. This particular Win95 is Win95 b.

Is there any parameter I could specify on the command line to avoid ie5setup.exe (or ie5wzd.exe) from checking the download locations and proceed with the install?

@p4killer: Actually, the evolt website copy is just an archive of the files that used to be in the MS website. Since they're not longer there, I downloaded mine from them. I know I also had one of those IE CDs that came with many Win95 PCs, but right now nobody seems to have any left or they already trashed them away. Mine was lost, so downloading it was my last option. :)

The problem is that I have all the installation files, but since ie5setup and ie5wzd try to contact MS Download sites (to check missing files), the install aborts "Setup could not contact download sites". Since the IE5 files are NO LONGER there in the MS website, how can I install without the setup trying to connect to the Internet?

I read a long time ago there was some command line parameter to disable setup from connecting to the Internet to try to contact MS Download sites, but I can't remember/find it.

Anybody know what it should be? I know it exists, but can't seem to find what it was. I know it disabled setup from accesing the Internet and verifying the files.

If you run "IE5SETUP.EXE /?" it might tell the command line parameters. I'd check but I don't have a copy at the moment.

@Skyfrog: Already done that. This is what I get:

params.gif

I know there was a parameter within the /C:<CMD> option, but I can't find it anywhere. I know I read something about disabling setup from connecting to the Internet if all install files where present.

Downloaded and they're exactly the same (same cab files). I even tried to install IE 5.01 from an old MS Office CD. The setup insists on contacting MS Download locations and they NO longer have the IE 5 files, so the setup aborts with an error "Could not contact download locations".

:)

I found some pages that may help. They are for IE 4 but they might apply to 5 as well:

Internet Explorer setup switches

Internet Explorer Setup Log

The log file might tell you what setup is trying to download. It's strange that even your CD version is trying to connect though; maybe there are some files missing from your installation of Windows 95. Finally have you tried doing a custom install and unchecking some of the items you don't need, such as Media Player and Shockwave? I'm out of ideas so I hope something here helps.

Good luck with it. :)