[Solved] Remote Desktop 5.2 on SP3 when SP3 ships with 6.1

You are looking at the version number of MSTSC. These files are not used. I don't know why wacky MS put them on an XP SP3 ISO. There is no entry for them in TXTSETUP.SIF.

xuOx0fY.png

The files that are used are lhmsts...

In TXTSETUP.SIF there is this...

lhmstsc.chm = 100,,,,,,,21,0,0,mstsc.chm

lhmstsc.exe = 100,,,,,,,,3,3,mstsc.exe

lhmstsc.mui = 100,,,,,,_x,,3,3,mstsc.exe.mui

lhmstscx.dll = 100,,,,,,,,3,3,mstscax.dll

lhmstscx.mui = 100,,,,,,,,3,3,mstscax.dll.mui

All with a version of 6.0.6001.18000

And when you install an unupdated XP SP3 you get this...

sZdTGKU.png

There is also this from a Wikipedia article...

Version 5.2

This version was introduced with Windows Server 2003, included support for console mode connections, a session directory, and local resource mapping. It also introduces Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.0 for server authentication, and to encrypt terminal server communications.[7] This version is built into Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 x64 & x86 Editions

Version 6.1

This version was released in February 2008 and is included with Windows Server 2008, as well as with Windows Vista Service Pack 1. The client is included with Windows XP Service Pack 3. It is also installable through KB952155 for Windows XP SP2.[9] In addition to changes related to how a remote administrator connects to the "console",[10] this version incorporates new functionality introduced in Windows Server 2008, such as connecting remotely to individual programs and a new Terminal Services Easy Print driver, a new client-side printer redirection system that makes the client's full print capabilities available to applications running on the server, without having to install print drivers on the server.[11]

http://en.wikipedia....col#Version_5.2

So the question remains.

Edited by -X-

:hello: Good to see you around! I was wondering where had you disappeared to...

Welcome back! Cheers!

Is this directed at me? I'm still alive :D just a little bit busy :(

Sure it is! You've been missed. :yes:

What happens if you install MS RDP 5.2 in XP SP2 first and then update to SP3? Does SP3 still install the newer version then?

Here are my findings. I started with SP0 RDP 5.1.
Upgraded to SP2. 5.1
Finally found an installer for 5.2 at http://www.petri.co.il/download_rdp_5_2.htm (you must scroll down a bit to Download RDP 5.2 (local download - 677kb)) and installed it. I searched MS for 5.2 and could not find any.
Installing petri's 5.2 it installed 5.2 in Program Files. msts in system32 was unaffected. So you have both versions.
Installed SP3 and it deleted petri's 5.2 from Programs Files. System32 was upgraded to 6.1.
Tried to reinstall 5.2 and it succeeded in installing it in Program Files. So now you have 6.1 and 5.2.
Went to Windows Update and indeed an update for 5.2 was shown.

So in the end 5.2 does not come with any service packs. It's not a stock thing in XP but can be installed from petri's website. Edited by -X-