Hibernation and Memory Issues

mikep56

Hi All,

Just a little tale about hibernation and memory for your amusement.

My trusty "workhorse" is an AMD Athlon 64 2.4 GHz in a Biostar Group N68PA-M2T 5.0 motherboard. I am running XP Pro with SP3 and all hotfixes installed. I am not overclocked at all. This is a basic self built system that I put together in 2008. It originally had only 1 Gig of generic DDR2-667 RAM, but it ran without lockups, blue screens, etc. I would shut down using Hibernate and all was good; about every 2 weeks or so I would shutdown just to get a clean reboot.

Shortly after I added another 1 Gig of generic RAM, and immediately when trying to hibernate the PC would lock up. I would have to power down and power up to reboot. So I gained 1 Gig of RAM to 2 Gig, but I lost the ability to hibernate.

My system stayed this way until just recently when I bought 4 sticks of Kingston DDR2 memory. I tried to add just 2 sticks of Kingston to bring my PC up to it's max of 4 Gig, but the PC would not even boot; it was spitting out BIOS beep codes. I tried reseating to no avail. I finally thought " The hell with this bs! " So I pulled the 2 generic sticks out and added the other 2 sticks of Kingston, bringing me up to 4 Gig of Kingston in my PC.

Like magic, not only do I have 4 Gig of DDR2 in my PC, but it now hibernates again.

So much for memory compatibility, eh?

Regards,

Mike

Hi Tripredacus,

Yes I ran memtest86, I think it was. Once I determined that I had questionable RAM, I just bought 4 sticks of the good stuff. It is just funny that the system ran with the 2 good sticks but wouldn't hibernate with them.

Mike