Dell Dime 1100 B110 Tower Intel D865GV windows 98se / ME problem

togermano

This dell computer works fine in windows ME but in windows 98 se I get hardware conflicts when trying to install the video card driver it says its ran out of memory space for the driver.... and there are several usb drivers with this error too yet my usb wireless works fine... How come windows ME works fine and windows 98se doesnt? I tried installing the latest windows 98 se service pack as well and no luck :(

I've run into similar problems when installing W98SE, the first time on an old Dell desktop, but others as well. Everything seemed to go fine until installing the video driver -- it would not load (can't remember the exact error messages).

I checked around the web and found some info about ACPI/USB/resource conflicts. What they recommended (and it "worked" for me) was to install Windows with the following command line:

setup /p i

This tells setup to ignore the existence of a plug & play BIOS (and therefore ACPI). I say "worked" (in quotes) because some power-management functions were lost -- not too big a deal on a desktop... and it did allow me to get the video installed.

One site that discusses these issues is:

http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm

which says:

ACPI active can be the source of problems in Win98SE. Windows

98SE automatically installs in ACPI mode if an ACPI BIOS is

detected. Unfortunately, Win98SE does NOT handle ACPI very well

and IRQ sharing with this OS is problematic. If USB is sharing

its IRQ with IRQ Holder for ACPI Steering and several other

devices you will need to install the OS in APM mode ...

All i can say is try it, and see if it works for you....

- Doug B.

I've run into similar problems when installing W98SE, the first time on an old Dell desktop, but others as well. Everything seemed to go fine until installing the video driver -- it would not load (can't remember the exact error messages).

I checked around the web and found some info about ACPI/USB/resource conflicts. What they recommended (and it "worked" for me) was to install Windows with the following command line:

setup /p i

This tells setup to ignore the existence of a plug & play BIOS (and therefore ACPI). I say "worked" (in quotes) because some power-management functions were lost -- not too big a deal on a desktop... and it did allow me to get the video installed.

One site that discusses these issues is:

http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm

which says:

ACPI active can be the source of problems in Win98SE. Windows

98SE automatically installs in ACPI mode if an ACPI BIOS is

detected. Unfortunately, Win98SE does NOT handle ACPI very well

and IRQ sharing with this OS is problematic. If USB is sharing

its IRQ with IRQ Holder for ACPI Steering and several other

devices you will need to install the OS in APM mode ...

All i can say is try it, and see if it works for you....

- Doug B.

Thank you ill give it a try!!!

I repeat...

What values show in Windows ME? Same exact values?

You know, there was a REASON for asking that. ;)

Did you notice the "checkmark" next to "Use Automatic Settings"??? There is OBVIOUSLY a CONFLICT in the Settings between the two and you want to disable ACPI Shutdown?

Try answering my question - you specifically stated OK in WinME...

I repeat...

What values show in Windows ME? Same exact values?

You know, there was a REASON for asking that. ;)

Did you notice the "checkmark" next to "Use Automatic Settings"??? There is OBVIOUSLY a CONFLICT in the Settings between the two and you want to disable ACPI Shutdown?

Try answering my question - you specifically stated OK in WinME...

Everything was automatic on winME I didnt answer your question because I was only going to reinstall winME only to get the values as a last resort.... ACPI shutdown still works even when its disabled

:huh::blink: Good enough then. B)

edit - Maybe an alternative was to disable PnP OS in the BIOS (set to "No" or whatever)... Stops BIOS from "feeding" the Install what the BIOS wants to give.

Edited by submix8c

:huh::blink: Good enough then. B)

edit - Maybe an alternative was to disable PnP OS in the BIOS (set to "No" or whatever)... Stops BIOS from "feeding" the Install what the BIOS wants to give.

I can't in my bios.... Thank you for trying to help earlier thou! :D