[Solved] BSoD on startup

Zapeth

There's another misunderstanding/miscommunication going on here. The VIA drivers you are referring to are for the internal USB 2.0 Hardware (hubs & ports) ONLY. VIA (or any other USB2.0 manufacturer) does NOT provide external USB Device support.

NUSB provides BOTH USB2.0 hardware AND USB external device support.

You MIGHT try this, to rule out issues from other sources and issues with the Microsoft USB2.0 drivers on VIA systems that seem to affect some users. (See the NUSB and USP threads for more info).

Do a clean install of 98SE as previously described.

Remove all USB and Unknowns from the Device Manager.

Install NUSB 3.5.

Once that is done, go into Safe Mode and remove all the USB Devices again, and then manually replace these files in the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS and WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS folders.

USBPORT.SYS

USBHUB20.SYS

USBEHCI.SYS

With the ones from this package:

VIA_USB2_V270p1-L-M

When you reboot, be sure to direct any file requests to C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS and NOT the 98SE CD.

If you get any "Keep newer file?" prompts on THOSE THREE FILES ONLY, say NO. (The VIA files have an older versioning scheme than the Microsoft ones so are treated as "older" by Windows.)

Edited by LoneCrusader

Okay I did the whole setup the same way as last time except that I overwrote those files as you instructed and pointed the directory of the 'hotplug.dll' to the "C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS" directory instead of the "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ixp000.tmp\" directory.

And this time it worked :w00t:

After restarting it again he started up just fine and after plugging in some USB devices he recognized/installed them flawlessly and I could access them as I wanted to.

So far I also didn't encounter any crashes or errors so everything seems fine so far.

Thank you very much LoneCrusader for pointing me to the solution :thumbup

And also thanks to all other guys involved in this thread for being so patient with me and trying to help me, I really appreciate it ;)

Just as a sidenote here, when I got into safe mode there were no USB or unknown devices listed (since the system didn't search for any in the meantime) and when the USB devices got installed I didn't get any MessageBoxes regarding the files I overwrote earlier, just for the files that I mentioned earlier (so it was basically the same process).

Edited by Zapeth

Okay I did the whole setup the same way as last time except that I overwrote those files as you instructed and pointed the directory of the 'hotplug.dll' to the "C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS" directory instead of the "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ixp000.tmp\" directory.

And this time it worked :w00t:

After restarting it again he started up just fine and after plugging in some USB devices he recognized/installed them flawlessly and I could access them as I wanted to.

So far I also didn't encounter any crashes or errors so everything seems fine so far.

Thank you very much LoneCrusader for pointing me to the solution :thumbup

And also thanks to all other guys involved in this thread for being so patient with me and trying to help me, I really appreciate it ;)

Just as a sidenote here, when I got into safe mode there were no USB or unknown devices listed (since the system didn't search for any in the meantime) and when the USB devices got installed I didn't get any MessageBoxes regarding the files I overwrote earlier, just for the files that I mentioned earlier (so it was basically the same process).

Glad you got it straightened out. :thumbup