Winpeshl.ini help

madpro

I have a batch file that kicks off diskpart to ready a drive for installation, then it goes on to copy a wim from one network location to another, than applies that wim

This process works manually, so I can boot winpe, then I change drive to D: and kick of the batch file from here, diskpart runs, then closes and the wim copies over and is applied to the HDD, on reboot it boots to windows

I want to automate this process using winpeshl.ini, so so far I have

created winpeshl.ini and copied it to windows\system32 on the boot.wim

copied the batch file and diskpart text file to same folder

Now what happens is diskpart runs ok but then the process falls over at the stage where I am maping the network location, it says it cant start the workstation service

Can anyone assist please?

I'd recommend doing your automation testing with startnet.cmd, and after you get all your commands down, switch it over to winpeshl.ini. The syntax is different for winpeshl.ini. Can you post the contents of it? (obfusicate things like server names, usernames, passwords). Also what version of WinPE are you using and what packages did you add during the build process?

Hi Tripredacus

I am using PE 3.0 and I havent added any packages, it is just a basic PE used to boot a machine and copy over a wim from a network location

bat file

diskpart /s d:\*.txt

net use p: \\share address

p:

copy *.wim m:

txt file

select disk 0

clean

create partition primary size=512

select partition 1

format fs=ntfs label=system quick

assign letter=c

active

create partition primary

select partition 2

format fs=ntfs label=win7 quick

assign letter=m

exit

winpeshl.ini

[LaunchApp]

AppPath = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\windows\system32\*.bat

So I need the txt file to prepare the hard drive for the image, then copy the wim from one location to another and apply it to the HDD

I tried mapping the drive first, but get an error about workstation service not being started

I added this to the batch file but get another error saying the servbice cant be started

I assume it is because winpe hasnt fully loaded when the mapping is trying to run

The reason I say this is cause if the batch and txt file are just at the root of the winpe folder and I dont use winpeshl, when winpe has loaded it is at an x prompt, I can then do D: and run the batch file from there and it all works fine

Try using a startnet.cmd (blank out your winpeshl.ini for this test) and have this at first:

wpeinit
wpeutil initializenetwork
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 16 -w 1000>null
net use z: \\7SERVER\images password /user:kdineen

I personally do not use winpeshl.ini for any boot images that connect to the internet. Note, the InitializeNetwork command may or may not be required. The ping is in place because not all NICs are immediately usable after being enumerated.