nLite noooooob

toronado455

Hi, I'm new to nLite and the forum. I've made one trial run on nLite successfully with just SP3. So now I need to learn how to add the updates/hotfixes to my nLite disk.

I'm using my retail Windows XP Home 32 bit disk (which includes SP2), and I've downloaded SP3.

1. First question... I downloaded the smaller network install flavor of SP3. How is the ISO flavor of SP3 different (aside from being a larger download), and is one flavor better than the other?

2. In order to include the post-SP3 updates, do I just use the UDC program found here?

Thanks.

Edited by toronado455

1. You want the network install. You should consider first just applying the service pack, burning the resultant ISO, saving the ISO in a safe place and using them as your "gold" untouched source.

2. Yes. I am the creator of the UDC script. It will download everything except for the Malicious Software Removal Tool so that your CD has all the security and non-security fixes already and you don't waste time on Windows Update.

Since you are on XP Home, you need to follow the instructions of footnote 11....

11. XP Home only! Due to a bug in nLite, KB978338 must be put below KB2509553 when the target source is XP Home. To do this, first sort the updates by date ascending, then with the arrows on the right, move KB978338 below KB2509553.

1. First question... I downloaded the smaller network install flavor of SP3. How is the ISO flavor of SP3 different (aside from being a larger download), and is one flavor better than the other?

The ISO files contains other files (for example "dotnetfx" and "support" directory) in addition to the "network install flavor of SP3". For beginners, I suggest that you not bother with the ISO version, because it's mostly useless to you.