NT 4 STOP 0x1E error when plugging in the PCMCIA wireless network card

Hey there again. As you may have already noticed, I recently got rid of Windows 95 on my Toshiba Tecra 720 CDT laptop and replaced it with Windows NT 4.0 Workstation and so far, I've been running into a bit of trouble here.

So far, I applied Service Pack 6a with 128-bit High-Encryption Pack, Post SP6a security update rollup as well as installing Internet Explorer 4.01 SP2 and then Internet Explorer 6 SP1. In order to get the Linksys WPC11 v2.5 PCMCIA wireless network card to work under Windows NT 4.0, I had to install the appropriate drivers for Windows NT 4.0 and when the laptop rebooted, the lights went on, but when I pressed Control+Alt+Delete to login, Windows NT 4.0 crashes with this BSOD:

*** STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0x8018C252, 0x00000001, 0x00810065) KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED*** Address 8018C252 has base at 80100000 - ntoskrnl.exe

I receive a STOP 0x1E (KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) with the offending driver ntoskrnl.exe, which as a DateStamp of 3B2800AE (2001-06-14 00:09:18). I have to use the tip of the fingernail clipper to do a hard reset of the computer.

How can I fix this error that causes Windows NT 4.0 to crash when the PCMCIA wireless network card is plugged in?

How can I fix this error that causes Windows NT 4.0 to crash when the PCMCIA wireless network card is plugged in?

Please provide some details on the drivers you used.

If I recall correctly NT 4.0 doesn't support PCMCIA "natively" and needs some "third party" drivers, besides the actual drivers for the PCMCIA card, and BTW (to be picky) that card seems a CardBus one:

http://www.digiconcepts.com/linksys_networkwireless_14.htm

see:

jaclaz

The Linksys WPC11 2.4GHz Cardbus PCMCIA adapter that you linked to is a later version designed for Windows 98SE and up. The version of the card is v2.5 and it's designed for Windows 95 and later. I will have to pull the PCMCIA Cardbus out after I reboot once again. The drivers that were used were LSWLNDS.SYS and LSWL.DLL.

The STOP 0x1E error went away when I applied the KB835732 update (WindowsNT4Workstation-KB835732-x86-ENU.EXE) which updated the date stamp for the NTOSKRNL.EXE file to 2004-03-18 02:20:02.

As Windows NT 4.0 does not natively support PCMCIA, where can I find some third party drivers for the the Toshiba Tecra 720 CDT laptop?

The Linksys WPC11 2.4GHz Cardbus PCMCIA adapter that you linked to is a later version designed for Windows 98SE and up. The version of the card is v2.5 and it's designed for Windows 95 and later. I will have to pull the PCMCIA Cardbus out after I reboot once again. The drivers that were used were LSWLNDS.SYS and LSWL.DLL.

The STOP 0x1E error went away when I applied the KB835732 update (WindowsNT4Workstation-KB835732-x86-ENU.EXE) which updated the date stamp for the NTOSKRNL.EXE file to 2004-03-18 02:20:02.

As Windows NT 4.0 does not natively support PCMCIA, where can I find some third party drivers for the the Toshiba Tecra 720 CDT laptop?

Well, we are not one inch nearer to anything after this post.

I still fail to understand (actually because you omitted to describe it :whistle: ):

• WHAT EXACTLY happens when booting(with the PCMCIA slot empty)
  • WHAT EXACTLY happens whn booting (with the PCMCIA slot with the card inserted
  • WHAT EXACT version the drivers you are using are
  • WHAT EXACT version/type of card you have (please find yourself a link to some resources describing it and post the link)
  • WHAT EXACTLY happens after that stop error went away (is the card "seen" anywhere in the OS, etc.)
  • etc., etc.

I do understand :) how it is difficult for someone that actually has the machine before him/her be aware that the people wiling to help are NOT there and cannot see what happens, and that because of this everything must be described with the uttermost detailed accuracy, but you are seemingly wanting to set a new record to the omission of relevant information... :w00t:

jaclaz

I'm sorry if I was wasn't able to respond for a couple of days, but I admit that I was so utterly irrelevant in regards to my comments as I wasn't being 100% clear enough. Here's what I can try to explain as much as possible.

1. What exactly happened after booting with the PCMCIA slot empty? Windows NT 4.0 booted as usual after I pressed CTRL-ALT-DELETE to login. However, with no PCMCIA wifi card, I couldn't go online and browse the Google mainpage.

2. What exactly happened after boot with the PCMCIA slot with the card inserted? Moments after I pressed CTRL-ALT-DELETE to try to login, Windows NT 4.0 crashed with a BSOD STOP error 0x1E (KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) referencing to NTOSKRL.EXE.

3. What exact version of the drivers that I'm using? The driver is officially identifed as "Instant Wireless Network PC Card V2.5" with the driver files found in the WinNT40 directory on the Linksys WPC11 CD.

4. What exact version/type of card do I have? The version of the Type II PCMCIA card driver is version 1.3, dated 27 December 2001, available for WinCE, Windows 95, 98, Me, NT 4.0, 2000 and XP as well as Linux. On the back of the PCMCIA card, the MAC address is 000625AA59EB and as for the serial number, it doesn't even say.

The page describing the Linksys WPC11 v2.5 driver can be found in these pages:

A. http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/adapters/WPC11 (official)

B. http://www.wireless-driver.com/linksys-wpc11-wireless-b-pc-adapter/

5. So, what exactly happened after the BSOD went away? Immediately after BSOD, I had to unplug the PCMCIA card and restart the computer via a cold boot. After Windows NT 4.0 rebooted, I have to apply the KB835732 update (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6102). After applying the update, the NTOSKRNL.EXE kernel was updated and the STOP error went away. I can plug in the WiFi card into the PCMCIA slot without problems now. :)

However, Windows NT 4.0 is much less user friendly than Windows 95. It has no plug-and-play support and you're gonna have to do the following in order to insert the PCMCIA card:

A. Turn off the computer.

B. Reboot into the boot menu if there is more than one operating system installed.

C. Reboot and press the Space Bar to invoke the Hardware Profile menu.

I sure hope that this is enough information, but if my comments are still overwhelmingly irrelevant, I honestly don't know what to tell you.

I will explain more what updates to install if you are planning to reinstall Windows NT 4.0 either in a virtual machine or on a real PC.

Did you tried to install the APM included in Toshiba utilities ?

Yep. I sure did. :)

(One of the diskettes mentioned in the installation even overwritten the current versions of NTOSKRNL.EXE and EXPLORER.EXE with older versions! Luckly, I had to replace the older NTOSKRNL.EXE and EXPLORER.EXE with the backupI believe that it was the TOSNTSUB.Z file on disk 1 that caused that. I don't know for sure. :whistle:)

Edited by ppgrainbow

Now everything is clear :).

So the card you have has not the "gold band" (and thus it is an actual PCMCIA -16 bit - and not CardBus -32 bit, please read as ISA instead of PCI).

Now, the:

http://download.wireless-driver.com/driver/Linksys/WPC11/Ver_2.5/Windows/wpc11v2.5-9598NT00XP_dr.zip

found here: http://www.wireless-driver.com/linksys-wpc11-wireless-b-pc-adapter/

is the driver you are using?

The above file does contain a detailed installation manual.

How did you install it? (in the sense of EXACTLY along the instructions on pages 15÷36 or you expereinced something different? Or where in the install process what you see is different form the screenshot on the manual?)

Please note how on pages 24 and 27 it is stated that re-applying the Service pack is needed after the install of the drivers.

With reference to the screenshot of the control panel on page 16 of the manual, do you have a PC Card (PCMCIA) entry?

If everything is installed "like in the manual", could it be the issue that the card (seemingly) only support WEP encryption whilst your home network is using WPA? :unsure:

And yes, Windows NT is much less user friendly (please read as NO user friendly at all :ph34r: ), but the good newas are that (once managed to be installed/configured properly) it is rock solid :thumbup .

jaclaz

Is that the driver that I'm using? Yes, it is. The card that have does not have a gold band, but rather than a silver one. The card itself is a 16-bit PCMCIA Type II device and it will fit in either a PCMCIA Type II slot or 32-bit CardBus slot on the right side of the clunky laptop.

When I got the Linksys WPC11 v2.5 PCMCIA adapter from eBay, I downloaded the driver that you pointed out earlier, extracted the ZIP contents in a temporary directory and used a utility called ImgBurn to burn the contents into a CD-ROM image before burning it to a CD-RW disk.

After I got the drivers, I used the CD to install the WPC v2.5 PCMCIA network card driver and configured properly after a couple of reboots. Yes, I did had to re-apply Service Pack 6a after installing the driver and yes, I am experienced with learning how to install the driver. The PCMCIA network card that I got from eBay neither had a CD-ROM nor a manual associated with it. The manual for the Linksys WPC11 can be found in \Manual\WPC11.pdf can be found on the CD-ROM.

The network that we have at our house is only supporting WPA Encryption. The Encryption tab states that the WEP Encryption is disabled.

Although, Windows NT is less user friendly, it is more stable thank Windows 95 itself!

With that said, the problem is all fixed now! :)

Edited by ppgrainbow