file shortcut to taskbar

colore

not on taskbar

but you can make shortcut, put it to quick launch bar

then right click on taskbar and choose Unlock taskbar, now you can see borders of quick launch

then right click in empty space of quick launch bar, click on View -> Large icons (set size of icons to be near big as taskbar ones)

good thing with quick launch is that you can make multiple separate bars and place them to right or left of taskbar :P

you can also center your icons on taskbar by using quick launch to be like on mac os :P

Edited by vinifera

There's an excellent program called Taskbar Pinner http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.108 , that out very lovely "xpclient" worked on. It'll help you out.

it seems to do what I need

how does it work actually? does it write some registry key or something?

I would like to know the procedure, in order to do it without having to install the program

do you mean on the taskbar or beside it in it's own section. To avoid my shortcuts being taken over by Excel.exe and my xls being a sub-pinned item, I do something a little sneaky so that my shortcut doesn't know it's really starting excel. Then put that shortcut file in a folder, link the folder as a toolbar, remove text and title and I get an icon on the right of my taskbar.

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe url.dll,FileProtocolHandler D:\MYEXCELFILE.xls

Edited by MrJinje

can you explain the steps of the procedure please? didnt get it

Right Click > New > Shortcut.

Paste the rundll32 cmd as the 'Item Location' (including the full path to your xlsx).

Windows thinks the shortcut is to Rundll32.exe and doesn't group it with other excel file types so that it can be placed in the taskbar and open your file directly.

coolshortcut.png