Trace why Windows 8 boots, shutsdown or hibernates slowly

MagicAndre1981

1.) I need a newer tarce which contains the optimization to know if the new value is ok

2.) You used the wrong command. I've posted a command to trace the fast startup. You must use this one and not the normal boot tracing command.

yep, I was reading way not as thoroughly as I should, my fault! I ran the appropriate command and got this after boot: "Couldn't find kernel logger in active logger list. Couldn't find user-mode logger in active logger list.' and something about being unable to stop and finish the trace.

but here's my 'normal' boot after restart BootTrace I haven't seen it but PerformanceLog 'event 100' says I boot in 52sec

the prefetcher is still broken. Every is black and those are misses.

Does the PC crash when you run the fast startup tracing? I

Never had any crash. Never. FastStartUp seems to work fine I wonder why trace won't work.

also what I notice is that C:\Windows\Prefetch\ReadyBoot folder is empty, only C:\Windows\Prefetch is filled, and there's the following in xbootmgr logfile: "Failed to save prefetcher data (C:\Windows\prefetch\ReadyBoot\ReadyBoot.etl.old) in cab archive (stage 1, error 0)"

Edited by Traditore

Please check the permissions of the folder C:\Windows\Prefetch\ReadyBoot and add system back if it is gone.

already guessed and did while waiting for your replies, and this is truly the issue... BUT! C:\Windows\Prefetch folder permissions reset after restart :o Having only my user account and Administrators as permitted to access. I tried adding SYSTEM full control, I tried enabling 'inheritance' from parent Windows folder - everything successfully applied, but was back to User+Admin after restart.

managed to solve everything and now I'm all set with ReadyBoot working, creating Trace#.fx files after each restart. Going to run optimization again and that's it... Thank you very much for you help, your time, I wouldn't get to the solution without you!

And who have you fixed it?

have played with permissions settings: set all C: drive to System and Administrators full control and enabled inheritance for sub-folders and files. Some system folders refused to accept new settings, but 'magically' ReadyBoot folder started to fill after restart.

Here is an excerpt from new boottrace:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="18843" bootDoneViaPostBoot="32443" osLoaderDuration="1552" postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="3600"

From ~90sec to 32 is awesome. ReadyBoot feature is wicked:)

Edited by Traditore

And who have you fixed it?

have played with permissions settings: set all C: drive to System and Administrators full control and enabled inheritance for sub-folders and files. Some system folders refused to accept new settings, but 'magically' ReadyBoot folder started to fill after restart.

:thumbup

The values are fine now. But you should use the "fast Startup" as much as possible.

• 1 month later...

hey so I have one problem with my windows 8 installation, thing is that I put it to shutdown and the shutdown screen is there for a small amount of time and it disappears, after which my PC is still turned on and it doesn't do pretty much anything. I don't hear the disk writing or anything. It's just turned on like that for some time and it shuts down then. Everything else works perfectly and booting is wicked fast. So can you help me out? I'll attach the XML files.

summary_shutdown.xml

summary_suspend.xml

hmm, the trace says that the hibernation is written in 9.9s. So it should work.

Starting with Vista, MS removed the progress bar during hibernation ,so you only see a black screen and after Windows wrote the data, the PC simply turn off. I think you have no issue.

Hello everyone and congratulations MagicAndre1981 for your work ;)

I have Windows 8 Pro x64 and while my laptop used to boot from fastboot very fast, i noticed now that it became a little bit slower. Again it is fast, but not as fast as before.

I made a trace for fastboot and everything seemed ok. I want to ask about 2 things.

First, at the hibernation xml, it shows

<suspenddevices start="14338835" duration="6979556">

The duration is a little big. The slowest of all is:

<device start="15065292" duration="6252899" name="ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08\0">
<driver start="15065360" duration="6252822" name="\Driver\ACPI" />

Every other duration seems logic.

Second, do you notice anything strange here at the boot xml?

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="17606" bootDoneViaPostBoot="40606" osLoaderDuration="0"
postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="13000"
<interval name="SystemResume" startTime="47828" endTime="60990" duration="13161">
<interval name="WinlogonInit" startTime="60990" endTime="61791" duration="801">
<interval name="ExplorerInit" startTime="61791" endTime="65435" duration="3644">
<interval name="PostExplorerPeriod" startTime="65435" endTime="88435" duration="23000">
<interval name="TraceTail" startTime="88435" endTime="95878" duration="7443">

Thanks in advance ;)

Edited by jimdem

well thanks for confirming that for me.. it's obviously then caused by my motherboard.. cause the same thing happened when I had win 7 installed and wanted to put my PC into hibernation. It's an ASRock N68C-S UCC. I've looked around in my BIOS to see if there is some option in it but I can't seem to find it. darn it -.-

First, at the hibernation xml, it shows

<suspenddevices start="14338835" duration="6979556">

The duration is a little big. The slowest of all is:

<device start="15065292" duration="6252899" name="ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08\0">
<driver start="15065360" duration="6252822" name="\Driver\ACPI" />

Every other duration seems logic.

which motherboard do you use and do you use the latest BIOS?

Second, do you notice anything strange here at the boot xml?

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="17606" bootDoneViaPostBoot="40606" osLoaderDuration="0"
postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="13000"
<interval name="SystemResume" startTime="47828" endTime="60990" duration="13161">
<interval name="WinlogonInit" startTime="60990" endTime="61791" duration="801">
<interval name="ExplorerInit" startTime="61791" endTime="65435" duration="3644">
<interval name="PostExplorerPeriod" startTime="65435" endTime="88435" duration="23000">
<interval name="TraceTail" startTime="88435" endTime="95878" duration="7443">

resume is a bit long. Look at the Resume entries in the hibernation.xml. My resume is 1s!