View repeatedly reset to Tiles

kjk

I have my window view under 'Details' (Folder Options -> Apply to all folders), so it should stick forever. However when I install someting or remove it (Add or Remove Programs), upon a reboot my view is reset to 'Tiles' again.

I see no connection between the reset to Tiles-View and adding or removing software. Although in former slimmed XP installations this problem didn't occur, it has happened in other installations as well, each preconfigured with nLite. So I wonder what I could possibly have removed that makes Windows behave like that, although it shouldn't in the first place.

Any ideas?

...Although in former slimmed XP installations this problem didn't occur, it has happened in other installations as well, each preconfigured with nLite. So I wonder what I could possibly have removed that makes Windows behave like that, although it shouldn't in the first place.

Any ideas?

First idea that comes to mind :whistle:

Edited by PinkFreud

Has nothing to do with nLite or anything you removed IMHO. Your Last INI doesn't do anything your folder "view" settings

Explorer-Disable Prefix: Shortcut to

Explorer-Disable shortcut arrow

Explorer-Show the full path in the Address Bar

Explorer-Show the full path in the Title Bar

For example, "explorer" tweaks I used in my last nLite build:

Explorer-Associate additional file types with Notepad

Explorer-Change Windows Explorer folder view-Icons

Explorer-Disable Autorun

Explorer-Disable Prefix: Shortcut to

Explorer-Disable shortcut arrow

Explorer-Disable Web Files and Folders connection

Explorer-Display the contents of system folders

Explorer-Preset Places Bar to-Desktop, My Computer, My Network Places, C:, D:

Explorer-Show Drive Letters in front of Drive Names

Explorer-Show extensions of known file-types

Explorer-Show hidden files and folders

Explorer-Show protected operating system files

Explorer-Show the full path in the Address Bar

Explorer-Use small icons in Explorer bar

Edited by PinkFreud

Thanks for your answer. No, I don't see either why the idiosyncratic reset has anything to do with what I removed with nLite from the installation or other configuration settings.

Is the number 400, the amount of folders that has been opened before WindowsXP forgets its view settings? Why would Windows need to keep track of that? That number is reached within a few weeks, 8000 will take a little more time.

I will try the registry setting, however after installing Windows and installing the drivers with the inevitable reboot the view is reset and that is well before the magic 400 number is reached.

I hope Win7 is more intelligently designed.

Edited by kjk

Not opened, TOTAL folders for tile veiw...

That makes the problem even weirder as the folder opened upon reboot where I usually notice the reset in view settings is the 'My Computer' folder; the root directory. This is probably one of the first folders windows remembers its settings.

I am going to reinstall Windows xp again within a few weeks with some new settings in nLite, and will run the tweak from Kelly's corner also. Thanks for your help.

Other link I found, it seems that Win7 has similar issues, and as long as Windows has a registry I wouldn't speak of intelligent design anyway.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813711

Actually, the problem still persists (most often after I install or remove an application as far as I can judge). The number of folders is not what is the issue here. A hidden correlation, or whatever.